Magento Forum

SVN Workflow Help

Mootrealm

Total Posts:  150
San Francisco, CA

I sort of know my way around svn, but not very well. Can someone offer up a sane workflow for developing themes with SVN? Essentially, I only want to use SVN to keep track of all my theme changes so I can revert back to them if things get messed up. So this is what i had envisioned -

I have a magento set up and running locally on my Mac to use as a development version.
This would be the same folder as my working copy so i can see the changes instantly.

The problem I am having is that things take forever because there are tons of files in the app folder that are unrelated to the design.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Matt Puchlerz

Total Posts:  15
Lisle, IL

You may be interested in a post I made a couple days ago. Sounds like we both want to do the same thing…

http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/5758/

Magento Community
Magento Community

stuartt

Total Posts:  6
41.290641,-81.095109

Add me to the list of people looking into this.

Currently I have a copy of Magento under subversion control. Works fine locally but if I need to incorporate updated files from the folks at Magento I have to checkout my local stuff, download and put in place the updates and then commit the lot. This is, I am sure, not the “correct” way to do this and I risk trouble if a file has been removed or renamed in the update. My entire reason for doing this is simply so I can put designs and skins that I create under version control. I am not making code changes to Magento itself (currently).

I would just get Varien’s own svn repository and leave it at that but I need to have the design bits under my own control. Maybe a branch is the way to go? That would give me my own thing to work on that could then be merged in as needed? Yes? No? Not sure as I am not a subversion expert.

So, as the other guys ask… is there a better way to achieve this?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community