Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Shop doesn’t load and can’t log in help please! 

C & G Computers

Total Posts:  9
Melbourne, Australia

When I was in System Configuration in the admin panel, I changed the site’s base URL from /magento to /store. as I clicked Apply Changes, halfway through it loading a page appeared with a 404-Page not Found error. The shop now doesn’t load properly and I can’t login in to admin at all. the same 404 Error appears. Im guessing the problem was caused by the change I made, but I can’t log in to revert back to the old base URL. Please help!!!!!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

NeilA

Total Posts:  1372
Blue Mountains, Oz

If you have access to phpmyadmin for your shop db ou can edit the base URL in the core_config_data table.
If you don’t have access to phpmyadmin, you can try and ask your web host to make the change back to your correct URL.

Regards

Magento Community
Magento Community

C & G Computers

Melbourne, Australia

well I dont have access to the admin because the page won’t load to log me in. So I contacted my hoster, and they said they couldnt do anything because Magento is a 3rd party script. What else can I do??

Magento Community
Magento Community

NeilA

Blue Mountains, Oz

phpmyadmin has nothing to do with Magento the app..
It’s the most common way of administering MySQL databases - which is what Magento uses.

If your host provides cPanel, you should be able to access phpmyadmin from that. If you have a different control panel, or your host does not allow access to phpmyadmin, then you are stuck.

Bottom line is: you need to get access to your Magento database so you can edit the table I mention above to regain access to the store.
Your only other option is to do a full install again from scratch, But I wouldn’t be even thinking about running Magento on a host who doesn’t give access to phpmyadmin and who is as unhelpful as you’ve indicated.

Regards

Magento Community
Magento Community

C & G Computers

Melbourne, Australia

Ok, my Hoster is HostGator so yes, I do have cPanel. I went to where you told me to go and changed the base URL back to /magento/. However, the problem is still occuring. I’m not sure what else I can do. Also, when I do get this problem fixed, how am I supposed to get the URL changed without this occurring again?

Magento Community
Magento Community

C & G Computers

Melbourne, Australia

By the way, my store is http://www.cg-computers.com/magento/ so you can see the problem there. Also note what happens when you try to log in to http://www.cg-computers.com/magento/admin

Magento Community
Magento Community

NeilA

Blue Mountains, Oz

Well, it’s not 404ing anymore!
Can you actually login to the admin now? I get the login form (but obviously have no credentials).

You need to clear the Magento cache, which is easily done from the admin, but if you need to, you can FTP into your site and delete everything under the directory var/cache
Then clear your browsers cache, and you should find things back to normal.

Changing the URL is not just a case of changing a setting in the admin (as you have found out).
Here is a very useful article outlining step by step the process of moving Magento directories:
http://www.free-ebusinesshelp.com/magento/moving-magento-directory-from-test-to-live.html

Hope that helps

Magento Community
Magento Community

C & G Computers

Melbourne, Australia

Nah it’s actaully no different from before. The magento home and login pages all seem to be in simple HTML, and it still 404s when I log in. Unfortunately, nothing has changed.

Magento Community
Magento Community

NeilA

Blue Mountains, Oz

So caches definitely cleared?
Did you do any other changes in the admin around the same time?

Magento Community
Magento Community

C & G Computers

Melbourne, Australia

Okay, so I will obviously have to do it through the cPanel File Manager. So do I just delete all those mage folders in the var/cache folder?

Magento Community
Magento Community

NeilA

Blue Mountains, Oz

Yep, everything in the ‘cache ‘ folder wink

Magento Community
Magento Community

C & G Computers

Melbourne, Australia

Great thanks a lot! I cleared it and it’s all working fine now. Thanks a lot for all your help.

Magento Community
Magento Community

NeilA

Blue Mountains, Oz

Good to hear.
Keep in mind that the cache should be cleared when any significant change is made in Admin or to Magento files or the db. wink

Cheers

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community