Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Mall Setup: How to represent *same* product with different price

espressobuff

Total Posts:  5

Think of a mall setup where 2 or more stores can sell the same product but in different price. For example, an exact same Chucks sneakers may be sold at a Converse outlet for $40, while on Toby’s at, say, $41.

I’ve been browsing for solutions, my impression is that I need to make separate entries of the same product, i.e., one product entry for Converse outlet and another for Toby’s.

Moreover, *all* products must share the same cart, as I want users to be able to search and compare identical products from different stores. So, for example, if a user enters “chucks kurt kobain black” on the search/compare, it has to be able to display the exact same item from different stores (Converse and Toby’s). From what I researched so far, this could be achieved by using a common website, and stores represented by, well, stores. Is this correct?

I’m ready to implement it this way, if my assumptions are correct. I’d also love to hear from the experts if there’s more elegant solution.

TIA.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

espressobuff

Thanks dd_gi!

Ultimately, my client wants a (at least) price comparison of carts if same set of items would be purchased from 2 or more different stores. So I’m thinking possibly an option on the Shopping Cart page where user could choose from member stores, and when they click on it he will be presented a table with the items and prices from the stores they chosen on each column, and totals from each store at the bottom.

Now I understand this is seriously difficult requirement:
- maybe I could introduce a second “SKU”, e.g. “ProductCode” attribute to identify identical products across stores
- maybe a new block in the Shopping Cart page with checkboxes for each store and a button saying something like “Store Compare”
- a new page that picks up all the “ProductCode” from current cart, derive identical products from specific store(s), then display them neatly on a table showing prices on columns (per store), and totals at the bottom

Could these be done in Magento? Or would it be easier to use other platforms or develop it from scratch? If so, I appreciate suggestions.

Thanks.

Magento Community
Magento Community

espressobuff

Thanks.

But I may need a common cart if I want the scope of the Search feature global (thus, for the scenario in the original post be possible)? Or should I do it that way (website represents a store) and hack the core to make Search global?

Also, with regards to the “store compare” requirement, I understand I may need to create new pages, blocks, etc. I also see that it’s not a straight-forward PHP/JS/CSS doing this in Magento. Could you provide me head-start, links to docs, tutorials, etc. on how to create custom pages/blocks/templates in Magento? Thanks.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community