Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

need some advices bout: blocks and templates and an additional view for xml output

biophonc

Total Posts:  2

Hi,

i know these are a few topics for one post but maybe someone can help. This is my first time with magento and it seems to be very solid. However - I’ve read a lot of articles, posts, man and so on but there are a certain things I jet can’t grasp and the documentation is not very helpfull. Plus and that’s why I really need your help - the deadline for this project is next week and we can’t delay it.

Problem 1:  I’ve checked out Moshe’s post http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/3698/P15/#t16474 and this is exactly what I need and it works good for me so far. But instead of a returning html, I’d prefer to use phtml. I know it is possible to assign a phtml via template tag (ie: {{block type="mytest_custom/list" category_id="18" limit="5" template="mytest/custom/list.phtml"}} ) but for somehow it does not work. Of course this file exists but magento won’t use it. why? How do I add a custom phtml to the template tag, so that magento can use it?
I’ve tryed to add a block in my page.xml but even that does not work - so I feel a little bit lost.

Problem 2: I need an xml output for featured products. In ZF I’d disable the default layout and send instead xml headers and my XML structure/markup but as far as I can tell I can’t apply that logic that straight to magento. I guess I have to override a controller or at least an action to do so but I haven’t found any appropriate articles about it.  Maybe I’ve overseen something and I’m sure someone else needed a xml output before wink

Any help is welcome wink

Thanks in advance + sry for my bad english,
biophonc

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community