Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Multiple sizes with different prices, for a single product

stressed

Total Posts:  2

I have been trying to setup a product with different size options.  I.e. a projection screen product.  This product comes in 15 different sizes and each size has a different price.  I wanted to have the Projection Screen product have a drop down list of the sizes with the price difference that is added to the base price for the product.  Needs to only allow one selection.
I was able to do this in Presta rather easily and without adding any individual products [Advanced Grouping or Configurable product]
In Presta I simply created an attribute, gave it a description, price. It was added to the product and the price difference was also added.
All this without having to create individual products for each screen size.
Is there a way to do this in Magento?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

sherrie

Total Posts:  1655
Waterloo, ON

Yep, they’re called configurable products:
http://www.magentocommerce.com/media/screencasts/configurable-products/view

Magento Community
Magento Community

stressed

Total Posts:  2

Thank you for your reply. But after reviewing the instructions, and trying to apply them, I am more covinced than ever that Magento was designed by programmers not end users.  And that will be what holds it back form success.

I like most aspects of Magento, but when it comes to being able to list several sizes with a uniqure price for each size. Well, the whole idea is to make it easier for the merchant and their customers.  Magento falls short.  I am not new to ecommerce apps, but I feel like an idiot when it comes to this app, it does not flow.

Someone needs to rethink this process.

Blah

So after much frustation, and back pain. I simply entered the products as individual products [which sucks] and have to settle for that.
I can’t say that at this time I would suggest Magento to others.....disappointed

Magento Community
Magento Community

storeonline123

Total Posts:  68

I agree that configurable products in Magento 1.0 is confusing. I am currently in the process of opening an online clothing store. I am having difficulty with adding a Configurable Product (shirt) that will have sizes in Small, Medium and Large. I looked at the screen-cast that was suggested, but this mean’s i have to add 3 simple products for one configurable product?
ex:
Designer T-shirt (configurable product)
|___Small (simple product)
|___Medium (simple product)
|___large (simple product)
Does this mean if i have 10 T-shits i need to make 3 simple products for each “designer t-shirt” in order to get Small, Medium, Large for each one?
If so thats alot of simple products
10*3 = 30 simple products for 10 T-shirts? Am i doing this wrong?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community