Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Newbie - Move layered nav below vertical navigation

ekcetera

Total Posts:  12

Hi all - I’m starting to get a grasp on this - Magento is GREAT!

I’m hoping someone can help me - I successfully moved my layered nav below the vertical navigation I implemented by using the following:

<block type="catalog/navigation" name="catalog.leftnav" after="catalog.vertnav" template="catalog/navigation/left.phtml"/>
in the <default> <!--Mage_Catalog--> Section

Now, there are 2 layered nav boxes displayed. What am I doing wrong? Here’s the top section of my catalog.xml file…

<!--
layoutloads most of the pages
-->

<default>

<!-- 
Mage_Catalog -->
        <
reference name="top.menu">
            <
block type="catalog/navigation" name="catalog.topnav" template="catalog/navigation/top.phtml"/>
        </
reference>
        <
reference name="left">
            <!--
Left Column Navigation-->
            <
block type="catalog/navigation" name="catalog.vertnav" template="catalog/navigation/vert_nav.phtml" />
            <
block type="core/template" name="left.permanent.callout" template="callouts/left_col.phtml">
                <
action method="setImgSrc"><src>images/media/col_left_callout.jpg</src></action>
                <
action method="setImgAlt" translate="alt" module="catalog"><alt>Our customer service is available 24/7. Call us at (555555-0123.</alt></action>
                <
action method="setLinkUrl"><url>checkout/cart</url></action>
            </
block>
            <
block type="catalog/navigation" name="catalog.leftnav" after="catalog.vertnav" template="catalog/navigation/left.phtml"/>
        </
reference>
        <
reference name="right">
            <
block type="core/template" before="cart_sidebar" name="catalog.compare.sidebar" template="catalog/product/compare/sidebar.phtml"/>
            <
block type="core/template" name="right.permanent.callout" template="callouts/right_col.phtml"/>
        </
reference>
        <
reference name="footer_links">
            <
action method="addLink" translate="label title" module="catalog" ifconfig="catalog/seo/site_map"><label>Site Map</label><url helper="catalog/map/getCategoryUrl" /><title>Site Map</title></action>
        </
reference>

</default>

<!--
Category default layout
-->

<
catalog_category_default>

<
reference name="content">
            <
block type="catalog/category_view" name="category.products" template="catalog/category/view.phtml">
                <
block type="catalog/product_list" name="product_list" template="catalog/product/list.phtml">
                    <
block type="catalog/product_list_toolbar" name="product_list_toolbar" template="catalog/product/list/toolbar.phtml">
                        <!-- 
The following code shows how to set your own pager increments -->
                        <!--
                            <
action method="setDefaultListPerPage"><limit>4</limit></action>
                            <
action method="setDefaultGridPerPage"><limit>9</limit></action>
                            <
action method="addPagerLimit"><mode>list</mode><limit>2</limit></action>
                            <
action method="addPagerLimit"><mode>list</mode><limit>4</limit></action>
                            <
action method="addPagerLimit"><mode>list</mode><limit>6</limit></action>
                            <
action method="addPagerLimit"><mode>list</mode><limit>8</limit></action>
                            <
action method="addPagerLimit" translate="label"><mode>list</mode><limit>all</limit><label>All</label></action>
                        -->
                    </
block>
                    <
action method="setToolbarBlockName"><name>product_list_toolbar</name></action>
                </
block>
            </
block>
        </
reference>
    </
catalog_category_default>

Here’s the website so you can see what it’s doing: http://testshop.ekcetera.com/index.php/occasions.html

Second, I’m having a little trouble understanding how the naming conventions work for each block and how to find the corresponding thing in the xml file...it seems like they’re all over the place and don’t display what it says it should. Basically, I’m looking for - in laymen’s terms - the heirarcy of layouts (xml files) blocks, (phtml files), etc. Which ones go where, how they’re named, how each page layout is determined. How, is it that when the catalog page is pulled up, that it knows to put layered nav? There are so many sections on the xml files - and the comments don’t make a bit of sense to me.

Any help would be appreciated - by the way - I’m a designer, not a programmer, so that’s where much of my trouble comes in.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

ekcetera

Total Posts:  12

Something strange is happening with the forums. My posts wouldn’t display, then 3 appeared.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community