Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
How do I set up two shops with mostly the same products but with different pricing and quantities? 

OzizO

Total Posts:  38

Hi There,

Yes, I am new on the magento platform. Just got Magento installed, and doodling around with it. Got as far as the categories and now I discovered something I do not seem to find info on anywhere. Although there are some similar threads.

I have one shop (http://www.ozizo.com) which I want to make a magento shop of. This is a retail shop. Many of the products I sell I want to sell also as wholesaler. This means I need a second website (http://www.groothandelinkralen.nl). The products are the same (although not all products will be available for wholesale) but the quantities will be different (retail 2 pieces in one bag, wholesale e.g. 25 pieces in one bag) and so also the weight will be different per bag and the pricing will be different. Also the retailwebsite you can shop without login in, and the wholesaleshop you need to receive a login from me to be able to see the pricing and to order.

Who can tell me if I can do this in one shop with two views or two shops (and than how do I link them? so I do not have to do everything twice)?

Also both shops need to be translated into two languages.

Probably a very simple question for you cracks, but for me.....

Thanks for your replies!

Vivienne

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

trimsonline

Total Posts:  16

I am doing a similar thing. There are different things you can do:

First you should set up customer groups like retail, not logged in, wholesale, etc…

Then you can set up tiered pricing (buy 25 and receive X% off) and you can set that so it’s only visible for specific customer groups

You can also set up a pricing rule where a customer group can receive X% off all items or specific items. The downside to that rule system is that you need to set up a rule for each discount. So if you want to give wholesalers 15% off of 20 items, you set up that rule for those 20 items. And then if you want to give 10% off for 3 items you need to set up a new rule for those 3 items; and so on.

I’m having different pricing for specific customers so it’s even more work because I need to set it up for each customer and each product that they get discounts for.

Magento Community
Magento Community

OzizO

Hi Trimsonline,

thanks for the reply. I am just wondering if this is the way I mean it. As I want two websites, with two url’s and both websites will have a different view and also they will have some products the same but also some different.

Can I do it with two views of one shop or do I make two shops???? This is probably the basics, but I really can not find it anywhere.

Thanks again

Magento Community
Magento Community

trimsonline

Oh, I see. The way I am doing it is with 1 URL and 1 Site. But different customer groups will be allowed to view different items and pricing.

Magento Community
Magento Community

MrSmileyJr

Total Posts:  43

What about doing it with one shop, but requiring a minimum of lets say 6 pieces for the wholesalers? Any idea?

Magento Community
Magento Community

OzizO

Yes, that is exactly how I would like to do it, but tell me how to do this? I have not found this out.

Magento Community
Magento Community

trimsonline

You can make a new bundled (or grouped?) product that is only available to wholesalers. I can’t think of a clean way right now.

Magento Community
Magento Community

MrSmileyJr

creating a new group is not a big deal - its easy to make 2 completely separate shops and limiting each one based on what you need - however that means keeping track of 2 copies of the same product: inventory/stock + discontinuing +.... its not the ideal solution

Magento Community
Magento Community

OzizO

Hi Mr. Smiley JR

Retailcustomers do not login, wholesalecustomers do. Is there no way that you can change the minimum ordering quantity per article for the two different groups of customers. I can create a tierpricing so that will not be a problem for the pricing. E.G. 1 item cost € 1 and 50 items cost € 30. I even do not mind that both pricing is incl Tax. But I need a fixed minimum ordering quantity for my wholesalers per item. I really do not want to group articles and than add them as a new product, as than I will not have the advantage of the stock option. I take the items for both shops from the same pile.

Thanks for thinking with me. Is there any helpdesk (even paid) where I can ask questions like this?

Magento Community
Magento Community

trimsonline

I believe that by making a grouped product visible only to wholesale customers you can create a product that is basically 6 (or whatever amount) of whatever sku you want. And it should still manage stock as it is using associated products.

Magento Community
Magento Community

OzizO

Hmmm have to try that, I do not really see it yet. I am not so into the grouped products yet, I’ll check the manual

Magento Community
Magento Community

MrSmileyJr

Grouped product does not allow you to require that ALL products in the group be purchased, and it also has separate quantity boxes for each item in the group - I want to dictate exactly what is in the group and then have them select HOW MANY groups they want. I’m assuming this is not possible..... back to drawing board…

Magento Community
Magento Community

MrSmileyJr

This thread might help: http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/53304/

Magento Community
Magento Community

OzizO

Hi,

Yes I read that post too. But it does not really work for my website as my one customer can buy only one item and my other customer needs to buy a minimum of eg 15 of the same item.

And than also the pricing is different. I could solve this with tierpricing but that also means that when a retailcustomer buys 15 items that they get this for wholesalepricing. Not very nice to my wholesalecustomers.

Magento Community
Magento Community

MrSmileyJr

I just found this: http://nik.chankov.net/2009/04/17/creating-wholesale-solution-with-magento-commerce/

It might do it…

Magento Community
Magento Community

OzizO

He mr Smiley,

Now you really made me smile:-)! I really think this is the solution to our problem!!!!! Thanks so much for not giving up on looking. I really appreciate it, I wonder if I would ever have found it by myself.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2