Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Freight Shipping Method for items either Overweight or larger than x for dimensions

vbwebsites

Total Posts:  93
Virginia

We need to be able to if a product is a: over weight or b: width or length is larger than X (overall dimension), use an alternative freight shipping such as RNL Carriers.

We have all the data to import width, length, etc but wondering what method is best for using this data in magento.

I looked into Catalog Price Rules and if there were “Catalog Shipping rules” that would work well where we could say for example if item is greater than 100 lbs, or is greater that 30 in use RL Carriers Freight.

I did see this extension: http://www.magentocommerce.com/extension/1277/rl-carrier-freight-shipping
and that extension activates on weight but besides weight we need to look at width / height / length (dimension)

Our Specs for freight are:
The maximum length or width of any side is 23 1/4 inches
*The total area (length + width + height) must not exceed 35 1/8 inches
Max Weight 150 lbs

Anyone have any suggestions or am i possibly overlooking something?

Thanks,
Brady

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

vbwebsites

Virginia

anyone have any ideas on this topic?

Magento Community
Magento Community

vbwebsites

Virginia

anyone? I am sure there is someone out there?

Magento Community
Magento Community

ZmoduleZ

Total Posts:  7

We have a FedEx Freight Shipping Module but it currently does not take into account the overall dimensions of the product.  I believe the product dimensions would be captured within custom attributes of the product.  If you are interested, we might be able to modify our existing freight module to take your product dimensions into account.

For more information:
http://zmodulez.wordpress.com/magento-fedex-freight-shipping-extension/

Louis

Magento Community
Magento Community

vbwebsites

Virginia

Thank You, I will check it out

Magento Community
Magento Community

ZmoduleZ

Total Posts:  7

I also just released a National LTL extension.  This extension provides shipping quotes for FedEx National LTL.  National LTL’s rates are typically cheaper than FedEx Freight.

See:
http://zmodulez.wordpress.com/2009/11/12/magento-freight-modules-version-1-2-0-is-released/
http://zmodulez.wordpress.com/magento-fedex-national-ltl-shipping-extension/

Louis

Magento Community
Magento Community

vbwebsites

Virginia

Our variables for freight are beyond weight but also may include length and width which we are now populating our store with that data as additional attributes.

So weight and dimensions could need to trigger freight.

let me know what you think and thanks for the update.

Magento Community
Magento Community

vbwebsites

Virginia

Also, alternatively we can just define in product attribute that the item must be shipped with ‘freight module’. We have 75,000 items of which 10,000 or so require freight. We have this attribute in there as well already.

Making the system actually assign the shipping is the next obstacle.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community