Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Magento ignore local.xml file after last upload on web server

kolacikvanilka

Total Posts:  5

I change the standard design of Magento CE 1.7.0.2. I need to remove and move some blocks also I try to use approach via file “local.xml” (placed in app/design/frontend/my_template/default/layout). All has gone fine - removing blocks from header, left or right side. Then I have tried move breadcrumbs from root to content block. My local.xml file looks like this:
-------

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<layout version="1.0.0">
 <default>
  <
remove name="store_language" />
  <
remove name="top.search" />
  <
remove name="wishlist_link" />
  <
remove name="top.links" />
  <
remove name="global_notices" />
  <
remove name="optional_zip_countries" />
  <
remove name="catalog.topnav" />
  <
reference name="root">
    <
action method="unsetChild"><alias>breadcrumbs</alias></action>
   </
reference>
   <
reference name="content">
    <
action method="insert"><blockName>breadcrumbs</blockName></action>
   </
reference>
 </default>
</
layout>
------
After the file was uploaded last time on web server and I made site refresh in the browser, the Magento has stoped using local.xml file without any error message. The syntax is valid without any errors. The fallback model works with CSS or .PHTML files, but local.xml file is still ignored.
I am not able to find source of tis problem. I have checked DB tables (the tables are OK). I have checked some directories (core) and I have tried to find some todays changed files (no luck).
I have flushed, cleared, deleted cache, reindexed files, changed files to previous working version, but without change. It looks like I need fresh installation:-(
But how can I destroy some part of Magento with using xml file with corect syntax?
The site (or store) works fine, but if I need “own” design I must change .PHTML files and it is not very good approach.
Any advice? Thanks a lot

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

kolacikvanilka

Total Posts:  5

Solved
The content of hosting log said: Directory index forbidden by Options directive: /var/www/autobazarbrezno.sk/web/skin/frontend/bazar/default/, referer: http://www.autobazarbrezno.sk/index.php/

After playing with this recommendation: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10365520/error-directory-index-forbidden-by-options-directive, the Magento store works and accepts overrides by local.xml file.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community