Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

how to just use one layout

SimpleHelixcom
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  906
Huntsville, AL

hi i have created a layout that i want to use throughout the website.
i do not need any 1 column, 2 column etc...so i just created my own layout.
however i wish to make this the default and the only layout this site will ever use.
it seems some pages still use different layout? how can i just make it a certain that it will use that layout and that layout only?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

NickL

Total Posts:  188

Zfdaily,
I’d suggest taking a look first at default.xml. Its in your themes layout/core/ folder. From here you can assign your site a default layout (1column,2column,etc). However, this will not change the layout of your store entirely. Different modules make changes to the default.xml layout by updating it with extra columns and data blocks. That’s why you notice some pages use a different layout. These changes are made by the modules ‘ initLayout.xml ‘ files. There located in the layout folder as well, (cart,checkout,catalog,etc.) So it basically works out with your layout .xml files defining your page structure and calling in the specific css & html elements via their corresponding .PHTML fiels. Located under your themes Template folder.

I think the best way to learn which pages use which layout is by labeling your .phtml files. Take a look at this post:
http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/215/

That’ll help you identify which pages you use which .phtml files, and as a result which .xml files. 

Let me know if that helps any.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community