Magento Forum

Great checkout process (with some small glitches)

Jonathan Hedrén

Total Posts:  67
Sweden

I think the checkout process is superb. It gives you a very good overview of the whole process. Though, if you’re already logged in, wouldn’t it be nice if at least some of the input fields, like “firstname” and “lastname”, were filled with user data? Another thing that annoyed me is that if you go back to a previous step you have to go through all the following steps again by pressing the “continue"-button even if you don’t change any values. Also, after filling out all forms in the checkout process, I went back to the shopping cart to update it and when I went back to the checkout all input fields was blank :S

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Total Posts:  1770
Los Angeles

the mandatory review of next steps is logically required behaviour, because information on some steps depends on information entered on previous steps.

For example, shipping methods depends from shipping address or billing address if “Use for shipping” is checked.

The review block depend on shipping address information for tax and shipping method for shipping amount.

The progress block shows the updated information which is taken from server.

The mandatory next step button ensures integrity of the checkout information across these components.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brandon

Total Posts:  76
Web Developer

I think additional logic can be put in place to verify that each piece of data is correct.  If the data is not “valid”, scrap it.

I have used logic like this recently in a project.  Go through each step in order and validate each field.  If all of the billing information is filled in and all valid, continue to the next step, else stop here.  If all of the shipping information is filled in and valid, continue, etc. etc.  I think its a very important feature because my current shopping cart doesn’t do it and I hate it!  If a customer edits the cart (which there is link encouraging the customer to do it), they shouldn’t have to start all over.  That’s going to increase abandonment rates

Magento Community
Magento Community

Jonathan Hedrén

Total Posts:  67
Sweden

Moshe - 31 August 2007 01:25 PM

the mandatory review of next steps is logically required behaviour, because information on some steps depends on information entered on previous steps.

For example, shipping methods depends from shipping address or billing address if “Use for shipping” is checked.

The review block depend on shipping address information for tax and shipping method for shipping amount.

The progress block shows the updated information which is taken from server.

The mandatory next step button ensures integrity of the checkout information across these components.

Yes, I understand that the steps are dependent on eachother. There are scenarios though when a user for example realizes that he’s been spelling his name or adress wrong in a preceding step and want to change them. Such changes wouldn’t affect the following steps and therefore the user should be able to skip the steps he’s already gone through in my opinion.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community