Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Site is slow, getting errors, can’t do anything. Help! 

BleepyEvans

Total Posts:  18

Hello,

Basically ive been having issues from day 1. My store takes over 20 seconds to load (brought up in a different thread) 17 of which is the initial GET request to the server.

My host have insisted that this is nothing to do with them and that the site needs optimizing. I’ve already done the most I possibly can as shown in the link below.
http://gtmetrix.com/reports/blracing.co.uk/BJuYtNIZ

I’m now at a point where I cannot actually manage and configure the store without getting errors of all kinds.

What would you recommend because I’ve litterally had it, ready to throw in the towel.

Would changing hosts help? If so can anyone recommend a good company?

Is there any other settings I need to look at?
I was provided with this after talking to my host: https://support.hostgator.com/articles/specialized-help/technical/magento/optimizing-magento
I’ve tried doing most of this but the site timed out after making changes.

Site: http://blracing.co.uk

Help please.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

serpyre
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  771

It is hosting, always the same, HostGator and Magento is never a good start. Use the figures here http://bit.ly/19sKunO for standard sites with 2-3s page loads, more stores, more products, slow theme, many extensions, a lot of custom code, all require more hosting. There will be many offering hosting, however with Magento and hosting you get what you pay for.

Magento Community
Magento Community

chiefair
Mentor

Total Posts:  1848

My host have insisted that this is nothing to do with them and that the site needs optimizing.

Congratulations, you’ve found a host that doesn’t do Magento.

You don’t optimize Magento to run on a hosting provider’s resource poor web server.

You find a hosting provider that optimizes their web servers to run Magento.

Magento will run as fast as the resources you’re willing to provide it.

Magento Community
Magento Community

BleepyEvans

Total Posts:  18

Can you recommend a host then?
I only have about 10 products and haven’t even opened my doors yet.

Magento Community
Magento Community

serpyre
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  771

Take your expected yearly revenue by 1% and then see who is the top of their class for that price level, there will be 2-3 in each range. If your store revenue is below $100,000 per year (Magento CE stores should have over this revenue), then you will have issues as Magento functionality is designed for larger stores.

Simplehelix on $20 or $50 are the absolute lowest (we used the $50 Maximo before for a sub $100,000 store), but you really can only expect revenue $25,000-$60,000 per year on this level of hosting (revenue not profit - with margins at 33% your net profit will be $8,000-$20,000 per year less costs of marketing, hosting, consulting). Most do not do the figures, so you really need $250,000 revenue points to start to look at making it a full time venture (the hosting platform we use goes from $250,000 to $25million revenue per year companies - it can go much higher but other factors come in to play). Visitors and Google will adapt sales and rankings to your revenue as this materially affects the choices you can make, so unless you have the correct hosting for the correct number of products for the correct content for the correct number of stores you will not rank or convert sales.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community