Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 2 of 3
REMOVE. ??? Add to Wishlist | Add to Compare

MikeF123

Total Posts:  1

Hi,

I’m looking to implement these changes too (removing both wishlist and compare functions).

Quick question- I noticed that these fixes involve commenting out using HTML comments; is this a better solution than commenting inside the php tags? I was hoping keep my final HTML code as clean as possible, but I’m not too hot on php and I don’t want to break anything…

If any one is still following this one please advise, thanks!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Angela Miller

Total Posts:  16
Coral Gables, FL

I’ve tried these methods to remove wishlist and compare, but I want to remove these links from the main category page when a customer clicks on the product category from my main navigation that displays all products from that category on the page.  From there they would either “add to cart” or click on the name of the product to get more info.  From the more info page I have removed the wishlist and compare links, but not from the main category page.  How would I do this?

Magento Community
Magento Community

MagentoMaggie

Total Posts:  18

Does anyone know exactly what the following line of code is for? I have commented it out without it affecting the feature at all. In other words, the Add to Wishlist and Add to Compare still work. Is this needless code?

<?php if( $this->helper('wishlist')->isAllow() || $_compareUrl=$this->helper('catalog/product_compare')->getAddUrl($_product)): ?>

<span class="add-or"><?php echo $this->__('OR'?></span>
<?php endif; ?>

Magento Community
Magento Community

pete_uk

Total Posts:  33

Why not try this, it works:

Change the CSS for your theme where it says (most likely in “skin/frontend/default/YOUR_THEME/css/boxes:

.add-to-inline li { display:none;

Magento Community
Magento Community

Tweakmag
Guru

Total Posts:  307
London, UK

I would really advise against using the css method as described above. Several reasons for this that immediately spring to mind are:

1. Anyone can turn off the stylesheets and the option is still there.
2. Magento is still having to process the code to generate these options even though you don’t want them (unnecessary extra processing)
3. Sometime in the future you may decide to turn on this feature (compare or wishlist) and forget that you have used css to hide it.
4. An update to magento may bring about new functionality that appends itself to the same area.

I honestly think that disabling in the correct manner will make it easier for all involved in the project (both current and in the future). To summarise the best way to disable features - I always follow these steps:

1. Can it can be disabled in the Admin area?
2. Can the features be removed using the xml?
3. Can the features be remoed at the presentation level (i.e commenting out code in the .phtml file/s)

This will allow you to control most aspects of your site - beyond this it is time to start overriding.

Regards
Adam

Magento Community
Magento Community

Bouns

Total Posts:  9

well put !

Magento Community
Magento Community

ciriglezglez

Total Posts:  40

Hello, everyone

I just want to share an easy method I´ve found to remove the compare section from the whole site.

You just need to follow the steps in http://www.aschroder.com/2009/07/removing-the-compare-function-in-magento-the-easy-way/

I’ve just done it in my magento v 1.4.0.1 and it works OK.

Cheers

Magento Community
Magento Community

Thejosh13

Total Posts:  252

ciriglezglez - 05 March 2010 03:11 AM

Hello, everyone

I just want to share an easy method I´ve found to remove the compare section from the whole site.

You just need to follow the steps in http://www.aschroder.com/2009/07/removing-the-compare-function-in-magento-the-easy-way/

I’ve just done it in my magento v 1.4.0.1 and it works OK.

Cheers

Nice Work

Magento Community
Magento Community

IDH-LA

Total Posts:  59

my god, i tried all these suggestions and none of them worked....but this does:

http://www.magentocommerce.com/magento-connect/m-template.com/extension/3243/switch-compare-enable-disable-compare-

took me two seconds....sheesh.

Magento Community
Magento Community

vinnycool

Total Posts:  16

And if you wish to remove the Add to Compare text that shows under each product you have to comment these lines from the list.phtml file located at:

app/design/frontend/default/default/template/catalog/product/list.phtml

Lines to comment or delete:

<?php if($_compareUrl=$this->getAddToCompareUrl($_product)): ?>
<li><span class=\"separator\">|</span> <a href=\"<?php echo $_compareUrl ?>\" class=\"link-compare\"><?php echo $this->__(\'Add to Compare\'?></a></li>
<?php endif; ?>

Cheers!

Magento Community
Magento Community

digitiser

Total Posts:  29

IDH-LA - 25 June 2010 07:57 PM

my god, i tried all these suggestions and none of them worked....but this does:

http://www.magentocommerce.com/magento-connect/m-template.com/extension/3243/switch-compare-enable-disable-compare-

took me two seconds....sheesh.

That extension saved a lot of messing about - thanks for posting IDH-LA smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

TheBakerMark

Total Posts:  11

I didn’t have time to search and edit a bunch of files so I added display:none to CSS .

Magento Community
Magento Community

prateekgupta
Guru

Total Posts:  541
India

Hey,

The best way is to edit the layout files for example to remove the compare products from the sidebox simply comment the following line in layout/catalog.xml file:-

<block type="core/template" before="cart_sidebar" name="catalog.compare.sidebar" template="catalog/product/compare/sidebar.phtml"/>

Similarly do this step for other

Magento Community
Magento Community

herve@wsa

Total Posts:  48
United Kingdom

Just have released an extension that brings all these posts together, feel free to try my extension and let me know any issue with it.

The extension is at RemoveCompare

Magento Community
Magento Community

Kara Heinrichs
Guru

Total Posts:  482
aa, mi, us

Please see this tutorial as well and see if it helps some of you.
http://www.magentocommerce.com/knowledge-base/entry/turning-on-off-magentos-content-blocks

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 2 of 3