Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 2 of 2
HELP…the big wall! 

bzsaw

Total Posts:  141

So I’m guessing from all this discussion there is no way to make a drop down with option choices on a product. For us the drop down would be as simple as having two choices of coffee.

REGULAR or DECAF

Am I correct in assuming this?

Thanks,

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Lior
Magento Team

Total Posts:  293

@Tim
To do what you want you will have to create two simple products.
Regular and Decaf, then group them in the Configurable product

As Yoav mentioned above, it sound like this topic started in the search for the Bundle

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brett

Total Posts:  121

tman_f - 07 April 2008 07:10 AM

Magento Team and Community,

This weekend my company embarked on our first production site using Magento. Until now, we had thought everything looked great and was a solid framework. It is, I must add. Then we stumbled onto something that might potentially be a rather large issue. Product attributes. I know this subject has been mentioned in other areas, however, I would like to ask for some help.

Magento treats every product as an entity, which is fine, until you begin offering multiple sizes, multiple colors, and the dreaded add-on pieces. For instance, if I needed to provide customers with the option of adding additional side pockets for $15 dollars, I would have to create this product in all sizes and colors. The exponential weight of this process can have detrimental affects on the database.

I love Magento and want to use this framework. I have noticed a grouped product option on the roadmap. Does anybody have any insight as to when this might be released? Or, until such time, does anybody know of a workaround? When I told my bosses that switching to Magento will require an expansion of 10,000 products to >50,000 product entries, i felt pretty sheepish.

I genuinely appreciate Varien and the Magento product, thanks guys.

I feel your pain sir, and I have a hunch that we’re selling the same products with additional side pockets rasberry I won’t mention anything though, it’s a high stakes game!

I’ve calculated the number of simple products that would be needed to handle my line of configurables, and it hits somewhere in the range of 30,000 simple products to handle our ~20 configurables. Like you said, it is exponential. Every time you add another option, the number of possibilities doubles.

From reading what was said about Bundles, I do think they will handle both of our problems. It’s really unfortunate that magento was built from the ground up without options in mind. Head over to osCommerce and take a look at how they handle attributes. Not only can you easily add them to your product, but you can even select whether you’d like them to be a dropdown, radio button, check box, or text box.

I can only assume the magento team has looked at the competition before creating their software, and so it’s confusing to me that they wouldn’t have kept product customization in mind. I guess I feel like configurable products should have been at the forefront, and not put in as an afterthought.

That being said, the magento framework looks and runs so much better than any of the competition. In my case, I’m pretty sure we’re planning on using osCommerce until the Bundles package is released for magento, and then migrating our products over. In the mean time, we will keep a Magento shop up for the purpose of selling our non-configurable products.

Magento really is far superior to the competition, and that’s why it’s really confusing to me that they wouldn’t have built their framework from the ground up with easily configurable products in mind.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 2 of 2