Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
HELP…the big wall! 

tman_f

Total Posts:  85

Magento Team and Community,

This weekend my company embarked on our first production site using Magento. Until now, we had thought everything looked great and was a solid framework. It is, I must add. Then we stumbled onto something that might potentially be a rather large issue. Product attributes. I know this subject has been mentioned in other areas, however, I would like to ask for some help.

Magento treats every product as an entity, which is fine, until you begin offering multiple sizes, multiple colors, and the dreaded add-on pieces. For instance, if I needed to provide customers with the option of adding additional side pockets for $15 dollars, I would have to create this product in all sizes and colors. The exponential weight of this process can have detrimental affects on the database.

I love Magento and want to use this framework. I have noticed a grouped product option on the roadmap. Does anybody have any insight as to when this might be released? Or, until such time, does anybody know of a workaround? When I told my bosses that switching to Magento will require an expansion of 10,000 products to >50,000 product entries, i felt pretty sheepish.

I genuinely appreciate Varien and the Magento product, thanks guys.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

srinigenie
Guru

Total Posts:  539

actually I am unsure on what you mean by ‘grouped product option’. Grouped products are available in Magento production release ....

Magento Community
Magento Community

alistek

Total Posts:  293
Normal, IL

I think he means grouped products built from configurable products which is on the roadmap.

-Adam

Magento Community
Magento Community

tman_f

@srinigenie:

Sorry, I meant bundles. Regardless of terminology, here is what I need, and maybe you can assign appropriate terms:

1) Create a product
2) Allow user to select many product attributes(size, color, material, etc) without exponential db products
3) Allow user to add items to their products. For instance: product=hickory desk, option=add shelf($50), option=add gloss finish($75)

thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

alistek

Normal, IL

Gotcha, let me play with this for a second maybe there is a workaround of something that will work.  Not counting attributes for the options could you create those as an item each such as the add shelf product and just have it display on that page that we know it is 50 and then have it added to the cart with the hickory desk?  Not exactly elegant but could something like that work?  Especially if the add shelf option is generic to multiple products?

-Adam

Magento Community
Magento Community

tman_f

@alistek:

Thanks for you interest and enthusiasm! At this point I am just looking for a solution. My thought was to create a grouped product, which may or may not be what you are referring to? And then add the additional items as needed. I couldnt think of how to illustrate the connection to product from addon option in the shopping cart.

I think I am being confusing, but anyways, I am open to any ideas that you have.

Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

alistek

Normal, IL

I think that this is something that should be available and not even that difficult to do but I haven’t actually looked at the attributes and products that closely yet because honestly I’ve spent all my time working on theming and programming.  But I will take a serious look as this just seems like something that should be quite possible.

Basically you are looking for:

Create an item i.e. Hickory Desk:
Select a color (required): Red
Add an option (optional - yes/no): Add Shelf (I would say as a radio button but I am noticing for attributes that picking the yes/no option does not allow for use in configurable only dropdown...seems odd to me.

Correct?

-Adam

Magento Community
Magento Community

alistek

Normal, IL

Ah I understand the dilemma after reading through the tutorial you have to create a simple product for each possible combination of values.  I agree that if you have a large number of configurable options that seems near impossible.  The benefit is of course being able to land on a specific configurable product page but that does seem to cause a problem.  The only way around this I would see is to programmatically create a way to associate options with a product that would be selectable via a dropdown or a radio button and then add a set price.  This would mean you can just create an attribute for a product such as Add Shelf: Yes/No and have the user select and if it is selected then add it on the price and as a customized option on the cart.

-Adam

Magento Community
Magento Community

tman_f

Right, and it is mostly possible already. The problem is that a product must be created for every possible combination of attributes. And that is what I am having problems with. I would like to create 1 product, and allow the customers to select that product’s attributes, and possibly add additional attributes to the product, which will in turn increase the price, without duplicating the product in the catalog.

It is my understanding that this will be worked in sometime, my question is do we know approximately when that might be released, and if it will be awhile, does anybody have a temporary solution? Or do I need to rewrite the Magento Core modules myself? I sure hope not.

Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

nafnaf1000

Total Posts:  209

maybe i am just not getting this, but why can’t you just utilize the Cross-sell or Up-sells mod to do this?
I am sure it would be a lot less code changes.....NO?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Eminent Style

Total Posts:  86
Bromsgrove, United Kingdom

nafnaf1000 - 07 April 2008 09:43 AM

maybe i am just not getting this, but why can’t you just utilize the Cross-sell or Up-sells mod to do this?
I am sure it would be a lot less code changes.....NO?

That would be the simplest solution I think. You could just have the different options (upsells) listed below the main product. These add on products would not have to be listed more than once in the catalog and could be applied to a wide range of core products. Or am I missing something?

Magento Community
Magento Community

tman_f

Thanks guys, I guess I really didnt understand the concept of “up-sells” or “cross-sells”. I will give this a shot when I get back to work, hopefully it will work.

thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

tman_f

Guys, thanks for the tip on cross-sells and upsells, Unfortunately its not really what I am looking for. Upsells are completely different products that are used to ‘replace’ the current product. Cross-sells are additional products that can be thrown in at the last moment from the shopping cart.

Even if I could configure one of these modules to achieve desired customer functionality, there would be no way to attach the additional products to a particular product, and modify the product’s price based on additional products. Thus, the store manager might get confused as to which additional product should be applied to any given product.

Also, this doesn’t solve the issue of exponential database product entries.

Thanks guys, keep em coming, I am looking for anything.

Magento Community
Magento Community

nafnaf1000

Total Posts:  209

do you have a live example of this?

what do you use not for this opthion?

Magento Community
Magento Community

YoavKutner
Guru

Total Posts:  491

@tman_f - The functionality you are looking for, if I understand you correctly is what we call Bundles. Bundles will allow you to create products (SKU’s) for the different options and then have a customer build his combinations as needed. So for your example: A Shirt bundle would have a color option and a optional side pocket option (with the selection affecting price if needed). This will require you to enter only the different options like the colors and a side pocket and not have all the combinations pre-entered as products. We are also looking at adding virtual options so that there is no need to add even the simple products for the bundle. This feature is in the works and should be made available over the next few months.

Thanks

yoav

Magento Community
Magento Community

manolodf

Total Posts:  56
Dallas, TX / Hong Kong

I think what our friend here is asking for should get moved to requests and if im not mistaken is he understand the different variances of a product

Shirt in S,M,L and Red, Blue, Green need different products since they are physically a different product, but what if he wants to add a dropdown or checkbox for a matching pair of socks, with a completely different SKU

You should not be required to make a Small Red Shirt with Socks product, but instead be able to add a product option directly by SKU so someone can just check a checkbox or select from a dropdown with products with different SKUs for example Green, Red or Blue socks in the drop down with each one assigned its own SOCK SKU, basically linking to another product that is live somewhere in teh site, and if I add 2 of them to cart, then I have 2 of whatever shirts and 2 of whatever socks in my cart.

I hope I hit the nail on the head Tman?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2