Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Taking Shipping Rate tables to next level

pooniraja

Total Posts:  26

Thank you Team Magento and Magento Community.  Magento has made an incredible amount of progress over the last few months, and I can’t wait to implement it at our end.

At rajacademy.com online shop we sell musical instruments and Cds/DVDs, and ship them worldwide.  We also teach online and have to collect payments, but ofcourse the shipping and tax on class purchases has to be $0.

We ship Cds and DVDs from UK, USA and Canada.  All instruments are shipped from India, and weigh 30 lbs and up.  So, in our case an order can be anywhere from under 1 lb to over 200 lbs.

We are currently using Viart Shop, and setting up custom shipping is very simple.  And I’d suggest magento team and community look into that approach.  A full functioning viart shop can be downloaded for free from viart.com (no time limit).

‘Cos we ship from 4 different countries UPS, USPS and other modules do not work at all.  Custom shipping is the only way out.
In Viart one is able to set up shipping from within the admin interface.  The form is not that complex either.  Custom shipping can be based on weight on a per lb basis (Or based on percentage of order, and also per item), based on the shipping destination.

For example one can have a set up like this:
For USA:
Order weight is 0 - 30 lbs shipping is $1.00 per lb .
30 lbs and up $2.00 per lb.
For UK:
Order $ value total 0 to $100 charge 10%, order value over $100 charge 5% shipping
For Spain:
Charge $1.00 per item if order weight is 0 to 30 lbs. For order weight over 30 lbs use same rates as rest of the world.
For all other countries:
Order weight is 0 - 30 lbs shipping is $1.50 per lb .
30 lbs and up $3.00 per lb.

Based on above info, an order containing 10 cds, worth $200 and weighing 5 lb going anywhere in the USA ships for $5.00.  The same order going to Canada would ship for $7.50, while to UK it would be $20 (10% 0f $200).  To Spain it would ship for $10 ($1 x 10 items).
A $800 instrument weighing 40 lb would ship for $80 in USA.  The same order going to Canada or Spain would ship for $120, and for $40 to UK.

Based on the above scenario, setting up shipping tables in magento 1.0 would be pretty cumbersome ‘cos of all the weight and country combinations.  Ability to import shipping rate table with weight ranges and a per lb shipping rate would be very much appreciated.  And the same goes for order value total ranges and a 
g;e value tied to each range.  Lastly the ability to charge per item shipping.

My apologies if I am wrong in my assumptions of Magento’s shipping rate table, and have described the tables as being cumbersome.  In that case please provide guidance to be able handle my scenario with Magento’s 1.0.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Tweakmag
Guru

Total Posts:  307
London, UK

I am working on extending the shipping methods to allow a bit more felxibility. Could you answer me 1 quick question, in your scenario above do you have to set up 4 custom shipping methods (1 for each country) using viart.

Cheers
Adam

Magento Community
Magento Community

pooniraja

Total Posts:  26

Thank you Ajazza.

7 Shipping rules based on the above info.
2 for USA, 2 for UK, 1for Spain, 2 for all other countries.  Spain has only 1 rule because the second rule for the rest of the world meets the conditions for Spain’s second shipping rule.

I am attaching 2 screen shots from my admin section.  One shot lists all the shipping rules, and the second shows the detail when adding or editing a shipping rule.

Image Attachments
ship_type.jpgship_type_detail.jpg

Magento Community
Magento Community

atlantide

Total Posts:  187
France

I am very interrested in this thread. I also need to be able to custom my shipping methods.

I need :

3 or 4 shipping methods
.......multiple countries for each
.................multiple weight rates for each country / shipping method

and a place to insert URL for each, including the tracking number.

Ex :
tracking number =@ : n°984654351
URL type : http://www.coliposte.net/particulier/suivi_particulier.jsp?colispart=@
complete tracking URL : http://www.coliposte.net/particulier/suivi_particulier.jsp?colispart=984654351

Thank you for that great job !

Magento Community
Magento Community

Tweakmag
Guru

Total Posts:  307
London, UK

Hi guys,
I am looking into how I can build it so you can create your own shipping methods on the fly, in the meantime - install my shipping extension on magentoconnect as I will updating this regularly and it will give you more flexibility.

Cheers
Adam

Magento Community
Magento Community

atlantide

France

Thank you

do you think that will be implemented natively in Magento, or that will be a module to add ?

Magento Community
Magento Community

chac416

Total Posts:  23

I wonder if this shipping rate scenario is available now?

Magento Community
Magento Community

atlantide

France

I am exactly asking myself the same question.

Magento Community
Magento Community

atlantide

France

I have just made a test, it seems to be ok when following the wiki http://www.magentocommerce.com/knowledge-base/entry/how-do-i-set-up-table-rate-shipping

But I tried to edit the .csv file with Excel, when importing under Magento it tells me the format is incorrect.

So I download another .csv file editor and that works.

CSVed (windows) :

http://csved.sjfrancke.nl/index.html

DMcsvEditor (windows) :

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Programming/File-Editors/DMcsvEditor.shtml

I just wonder about one thing. Where to find the country codes (3 letters) to set the table ?

Magento Community
Magento Community

atlantide

France

Maybe Coutry codes are about ISO Coutry codes :

http://transport.fraggo.com/code-iso-country.php

I will make a test

Magento Community
Magento Community

chac416

It’s funny, but I don’t see the CSV Import on my admin :S hmm. i’m using the latest version.

Magento Community
Magento Community

atlantide

France

You must select “Main website” in your configuration scope (top left on the page, under the menus)

Magento Community
Magento Community

chac416

haha, oh now that was stupid of me haha.
thanks a bunch smile

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community