Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Product Thumbnail Images Not Displaying on Home Page

toyourhome

Total Posts:  7

Hi,

Magento has stopped displaying product thumbnail images on the home page.

It seems to be a cache issue, although I have cache disabled at the moment.

If I check the URL of the missing image, it looks like this: ...media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/135x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/f/o/four-bins-closed-cropped_1.jpg

However, when I check the file server, the picture is actually located at ...media/catalog/product/f/o/four-bins-closed-cropped_1.jpg

Any ideas?

Thanks

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

RahulTyagi

Total Posts:  35

Hi,

You are seeing image url as \"...media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/135x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/f/o/four-bins-closed-cropped_1.jpg\" because you are calling image for product by Magento function which will be something like:

Mage::helper(\"catalog/image\")->init($_product, \"small_image\")->resize(135)

Magento resizes the main image and creates a image in cache folder under media/catalog/product that you are seeing in url above.

Since the images has stopped displaying some steps that you can do is:
1) Check permission of cache folder in media, make it as 777.
2) Clear/Flush catalog image cache from Magento admin.

Hope this solves your problem.  smile

Thanks.

Magento Community
Magento Community

toyourhome

Thank you for your reply!

I tried what you suggested but unfortunately it did not work.  The media folder - in fact all folders - are set to 777, and I tried flushing all caches even though they are all disabled.

I’m not actually getting images in the product pages either.  I wonder why Magento is pointing these image placeholders to the wrong folder?

Magento Community
Magento Community

toyourhome

This was actually stopping me from reindexing too, but I’ve finally sorted it.

For anyone interested, the problem was with ownership of folders.  I had to SSH into the server as root and use ‘chown -R apache <magento folder>’ followed by ‘chgrp -R apache <magento folder>’

Once I did this, all problems such as image caching, reindexing, temp folders etc. disappeared smile

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community