Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
Should I Use Magento? 

TJNevis

Total Posts:  40

Hello.  I’ve been watching magento for a few weeks.  I installed it on my server and noticed it was too slow, so I upgraded servers with my host, installed it and it’s still not acceptable (performance-wise).  I have been reading over the forum about blogs and code hacks and such, but no links or anything.  How can I speed up magento?  I don’t want to spend weeks of my time entering my catalog data, having it be slow and having to another commerce solution.  The options and the looks of magento keep me wanting to hang in there, but until there is a release that is faster, what can I do for now to speed it up?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Hole

Total Posts:  12

http://www.magentocommerce.com/blog/comments/performance-is-key-notes-on-magentos-performance I’d take a look at this blog entry YoavKutner created.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Wikid-Art

Total Posts:  13

Hi TJ,

Judging from an extensive look at demo sites and from reading the article in the above post, It seems to be the case that magento will only perform well on dedicated servers, that are powerful and specifically configured. There was also talk about server clusters being more optimal in order to avoid bottlenecks.

To me that is all interesting from a technical POV, but very disappointing from a financial/ business owner’s perspective. The quotes I received for dedicated servers powerful enough to run magento were in the order of hundreds of dollars per month. If Magneto were a mature product I might consider it, but I am wondering if I might be better off spending the money on customizing a fast & more mature cart that I can host economically.

Magneto is reminding me of some of the excellent flash web apps that I have trialled for my site, such as t-shirt creators. They were wonderful and so useful, but cost impossible amounts of money to host. And lets not forget that our customers, as web store owners, frequently do not necessarily have the fastest internet connections that we use.

Some apps have the right idea, but are ahead of their time. Magento may be one these.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Eminent Style

Total Posts:  86
Bromsgrove, United Kingdom

TJNevis - 06 April 2008 01:23 PM

Hello.  I’ve been watching magento for a few weeks.  I installed it on my server and noticed it was too slow, so I upgraded servers with my host, installed it and it’s still not acceptable (performance-wise).  I have been reading over the forum about blogs and code hacks and such, but no links or anything.  How can I speed up magento?  I don’t want to spend weeks of my time entering my catalog data, having it be slow and having to another commerce solution.  The options and the looks of magento keep me wanting to hang in there, but until there is a release that is faster, what can I do for now to speed it up?

TJ, it might be worth installing the latest release of Magento and seeing the performance improvements that have been implemented. I can remember not being too impressed with the performance of of the earlier pre releases but things are much better IMHO with 1.0.

Magento Community
Magento Community

TJNevis

Eminent,
I do have the new 1.0 on my server...919imports.net, I just don’t feel it’s acceptable speed.  I think customers will either say screw this and leave or not buy as much as they would if it was fast.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Wikid-Art

Total Posts:  13

Hi TJ,

Today I uploaded Magento to my other host, and I did see some hopeful improvements. I think my initial host, Dreamhost, must be having issues or just isn’t configured for Magento. I asked them for some help with the major `cart hanging’ problems I was experiencing, but they said they don’t support Magento and couldn’t help me.

I read somewhere that my other host does specifically support Magento, and it shows. Loading an item into the cart takes about as long it takes to load any other page. Its not blindingly fast, but perhaps fast enough to allow my site to grow large enough to justify better hosting. I’m still not sure, but I’m going to check it out.

WHo are you hosting with? I wonder if you’re having a `host’ issue too?

Magento Community
Magento Community

TJNevis

I have a godaddy deluxe hosting account...I have been looking at other carts all day and it’s been annoying.  I really just want Magento to speed up, because that is the only thing that is bothering me and the only thing that needs to improve.

Magento Community
Magento Community

sherrie

Total Posts:  1655
Waterloo, ON

TJ,

Don’t know if you’ve changed anything, but your site responds pretty quickly on my computer.

Magento Community
Magento Community

TJNevis

http://www.magentocommerce.com/blog/comments/performance-is-key-notes-on-magentos-performance

How do I implement the things discussed in this article?  I have a godaddy shared server, where can I find the my.cnf, change the keep-alive value, etc?  also how can I cache MYSQL 5 from this article?

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/query-cache.html

Magento Community
Magento Community

TJNevis

These are some huge load times that I am coming up with…

Image Attachments
1.JPG2.JPG

Magento Community
Magento Community

Crucial Web Host
Guru

Total Posts:  364
Phoenix, AZ

Hi TJ,

TJNevis - 10 April 2008 03:58 AM

These are some huge load times that I am coming up with…

That tool is extremely flawed and should NOT be used for any legitimate testing.  I also used that tool and found it to be useless after a short time.

It tests from only a single location and is entirely dependent on how many other people are also running the ‘tool’.

It will only cause you to chase your tail in circles - you’ll never make any progress if that is what you are trying to use to measure.  It is EXTREMELY inaccurate and should not really be used for anything.

Rick

Magento Community
Magento Community

parekh81

Total Posts:  2

If anyone’s using shared hosting - especially from GoDaddy and 1and1 - you are likely to have a slow functioning cart (any cart). But even more crucially if you want to be successful get dedicated servers (dedicated ip address) - my seo rankings jumped and traffic conversion increased immensely.

I used to be on shared as well - as soon as i changed to dedicated things just got better and easier!

Magento Community
Magento Community

TJNevis

I wanted to go dedicated some time soon, but to start off I wanted to stay on a shared server.  I guess I have to figure out what is more important - obviously it’s speed, I just have to make sure I’m in this for the long run.  Are dedicated servers through GoDaddy ok?  Do the zend optimizer and mysql tips from that article help at all for something I can do now?

Magento Community
Magento Community

TJNevis

To add to that, I do agree that the times were a little more outrageous than what really occured on my end through the browser, but it was still 20 seconds or so.  I try to go into the cache management in Magento, but when I change it to enable and save, it loads back up with the first selection - ‘No Change’.  I don’t mind the back end being so slow, because it’s just me.  I read a few articles that talked about getting the HTTP requests down by adding javascript, maybe they meant ajax requests?  And putting the CSS requests in one header instead of the 6 or so lines that it currently is.  I will be testing a few things this weekend.

Magento Community
Magento Community

TJNevis

I have downloaded the newest zend optimizer and referenced it in my php5.ini.  The zend optimizer that comes on godaddy servers is old and is only for php4.  Since this update the site has DRAMATICALLY increased in speed.  I would still like to take a second or two off, but it is not a very reasonable speed both in the front and back end.

Magento Community
Magento Community

justjay202

Total Posts:  9
Brea, CA

TJ,

I was using a shared server (gs) on mediatemple to host magento - not acceptable. $20/month
Then, I switched to a dedicated server (dv) on mediatemple - it’s pretty good now. could use some performance tweaks, but much faster. $50/month

http://beta.jgoodin.com/

So.. for $30 more.. well, your budget is your budget. it takes money to make money.

good luck!

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2