Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

How do i upload sample products? 

Online Shop

Total Posts:  21

is there a database or a download file that contains sample products that i can use for Magento?  this is going to help since i really don’t know how to start with magento.... quite confused what or where should i go first in admin page or do i have to change the CSS first or later after i have a complete shopping page including about us, etc? 

will appreciate any advice from individuals who are now about to take their magento shop online!  thanks!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

ODB

Total Posts:  142
London

There used to be a link on the download page, but I think it’s been removed!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Online Shop

yes, i actually searched for it but it seems it’s no longer available.  this makes it hard for opensource magento users like me.

Magento Community
Magento Community

alanin

Total Posts:  67
Nordhausen, Germany

i made myself a database dump from the demostore and put that into my sql server - so just the images are missing

Magento Community
Magento Community

glaDiator

Total Posts:  65

I dont know what makes VARIEN to remove the link ... it is quite impossible to start magento without the sample data.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Crucial
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  770
Phoenix, AZ

The sample data can be found here:

http://www.magentocommerce.com/downloads/assets/1.0/magento-sample-data-1.0.tar.gz

And you need to import the data before you run the web-based (or console) installer:

wget http://www.magentocommerce.com/downloads/assets/1.0/magento-1.0.tar.gz
wget http://www.magentocommerce.com/downloads/assets/1.0/magento-sample-data-1.0.tar.gz
tar -zxvf magento-1.0.tar.gz
tar -zxvf magento-sample-data-1.0.tar.gz
mv magento-sample-data-1.0/media/* magento/media/
mv magento-sample-data-1.0/magento_sample_data_for_1.0.sql magento/data.sql
cd magento
chmod o+w var var/.htaccess app/etc
chmod -R o+w media
mysql -u DBUSER -pDBPASS DBNAME < data.sql

Just copy that entire thing in SSH and hit Enter. Don’t forget to change the DBUSER, DBPASS, and DBNAME before doing so.

If you try to import the data after you’ve installed Magento, it will overwrite some things, like the admin username and password. The default login is below:

Username: admin
Password: 123123

Also, I’m not positive if you can do the import after an install, haven’t actually tried it on the 1.0 version.

Magento Community
Magento Community

alanin

Total Posts:  67
Nordhausen, Germany

i just applied the sql and it worked in 1.0 - didnt tried the whole sampledata package…

Magento Community
Magento Community

Online Shop

i just downloaded the sample data and have imported the text files included using myphpadmin console.  can anyone assist how to complete the sample data upload?  i installed 1.0 a few days back and has actually gone through some modifications already.

Magento Community
Magento Community

glaDiator

Total Posts:  65

Thanks VARIEN ... the sample data still exist. wink

To install the sample data u have to simply import the SQL file & then replace the media folder with the media folder that is given with the sample data.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Greenhorn2013

Total Posts:  13

If i try to import data.sql get error: “admin_assert already exists”
Update: Clear Database import Sample Data all Done smile

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community