Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Straightforward, in production UK store

Tim Deeson

Total Posts:  16
UK

http://www.landscape.co.uk/shop/books

The client required basic store functionality, integrated into the site design with minimal extra store theming. This seemed like a good test to see how Magento would work when we had a lightweight requirement but didn’t want to use any of the usual suspects (OSCommerce etc). We didn’t encounter any UK specific show stoppers, although as I mentioned we kept this install deliberately very simple and quick.

There are still a few styles that need to be tweaked to site style and there were a few irritations (using Google Checkout as the only payment option meant we had to tweak the template to stop the normal cart being an option, even when there were no other active payment options). Not a big deal but seemed like something that could be handled more gracefully and every extra tweak does have a cost on ‘rapid deployments’.

General impressions were good of Magento’s architecture as far as maintainability and structured enhancement. The platform seems capable of supporting heavy customisation without immediately presenting some of the problems its competitors would.

Oddities:

Magento doesn’t seem to generate emails when using Google Checkout (Google Checkout will though), not sure if this a Google Checkout config. thing, a Magento config. thing or a bug but we couldn’t see anything obvious.

Other to-do’s:

Some page titles need changing from defaults
Zoom on images inappropriate and needs disabling
Apply UK language pack
Second pass over colour scheme to bring closer to site palette
Resolve return to category list from product view semi dead end
Remove some unnecessary price comparison options etc.

I’d be interested to hear of other’s experiences and impressions?

Thanks

Tim

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Discovery
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  767

go UK, go..!

So quick off the mark!

Your design is coming along excellently, I am particularly impressed by your integration to a Wordpress, CMS or whatever you have used to get that done.

I like the header image - so much so that I would like to see more of it - full width. That would be meddling with design, however, it would look really good wide, even if that mean’t moving the logo to the centre (with optional faux reflection...).

The product images seem to be not the aspect ratio that you originally hoped for. I am sure you are fixing these as I type, however, if you are not getting the results with Photoshop batch scripts get ‘Dave’s Batch Plugin’ for the gimp or consider an imagemagick script.

One of us will also have to speed up on the UK localisation - ‘basket’, ‘delivery’, etc.

I am intrigued by what you will do with the search box for Magento, how your delivery tables get setup as well as what happens on the localisation front. As is, you only need larger fonts for products and correct aspect thumbnails for the job to be a good un’ - well done!

Magento Community
Magento Community

norbolig
Guru

Total Posts:  328

Very nice.

One more input to the design: you might consider to change to another font in the shop (such as calibri). The one you have used is a little bit too small / difficult to read.

Magento Community
Magento Community

radders

Total Posts:  162

Excellent job and so fast!  I found that many of the nice features of Magento like short description meant that products had to be almost re-created after importing them.
How did you integrate the directories into magento? They look like dynamic pages. Are they handled through the CMS.

The only thing I found not quite to my taste on your site is that the logo and menus whilst being attractive take up most of the page leaving the content starting only just above the fold.

Magento Community
Magento Community

radders

I think I understand now. All the directory stuff is just the rest of the site outside of Magento. You removed Magento’s top menu to integrate it better with the rest of the site. Yes I would agree that the font chosen for the shopping section is hard to read. Personally I would prefer to see the same size and design of font in Magento as is used in the rest of the site. Does that cause a problem in the three column design?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Tim Deeson

UK

radders: Yes you’re right the rest of the site is in a CMS (Drupal, our other open source platform of choice), Drupal and Magento together - perfect! We plan to tweak the design so that it sits more closely with the rest of the site with regards to fonts etc, we agree it would sit better.

Discovery:  we had a problem with the quality of the images, we’re trying to source higher quality originals to make them better all round as well as fix the aspect problems.

Thanks for all the feedback so far (positive and negative) it’s all been taken on board!

Thanks

Tim

Magento Community
Magento Community

Neuchi

Total Posts:  4
London

Tim,

Really good to see a UK development using Magento, please keep us updated of any future developments using the software and any UK specific difficulties that you encounter as you start to get to know Magento better.

With kind regards,

Ivor

Magento Community
Magento Community

Tim Deeson

UK

We’ve finished a second stage of tweaks to bring the Magento side’s styles more into site style if anyone wants to take a second look.

Thanks

Tim

Magento Community
Magento Community

radders

Yes that does the trick!
Great apart from Magento’s ‘fast and furious’ performance when adding an item to the shopping cart!

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community