Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
Pre-Launch Page

bowlins

Total Posts:  17

Hello,

Currently I am building my site, and in the meanwhile,I have created a pre-launch page to show when users visit my domain as it will take a few months before the site is ready.

For this, I am using the Cartware Maintenance Extension for this http://www.magentocommerce.com/magento-connect/cartware-maintenancepage-4199.html. However, this type of “trick” is really designed for maintenance only. I have just realised that it is sending a 503 server is down message. This means Google thinks the whole place is down, including the prelaunch page

So, is there a way to have a homepage as prelaunch page while the rest of the site is “temporarily closed/down”?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Siggi_Schmitz
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  811

Hi,

in a few days, i will launch my extension shop. And that`s a good idea for an extension, i have the following idea: An extension which only shows the content of a selectable cms page (and optional the shop header and footer too), in which you can put your “coming soon” message with HTML Design when you want. When you set the “pre-launch” configuration from the extension to on, then the customers only see this content. And you can put one or more IP`s which can see the complete shop. And the shop will never return a 503 like in the maintaince modus. Any other features that you want or ideas? I think it`s a usefull extension for many people, so i will create it in the next days.

Magento Community
Magento Community

bowlins

Yes, that’s an interesting approach to it and different to maintenance mode. I guess it would also sort the other problem I reported in this other thread in which a .htaccess redirection was suggested.

Maintenance mode: it makes the whole site appear as “DOWN” for as long as the prelaunch page is active (which can be months!)
.htaccess redirection: perfect solution if it were not because Magento-specific calls such as the newsletter block are not performed and appear as text within the site.

What you suggest about hiding the header and footer is really important too, as I have my header and footer already which are of course different to the proper Magento page

Magento Community
Magento Community

Siggi_Schmitz
Enthusiast

Okay, if you have any other ideas for it, just let me know in this thread, when the extension is ready i will also update this thread with a link to my shop. By the way, i will sell this extension for free.

Magento Community
Magento Community

bowlins

Ahhh I was just nervously waiting for the “free” word wink Thanks for that!! We’re only a startup and not operating yet but happy to make a donation when we can

I’m happy to collaborate and test if you want. My website is www.encremento.com

Magento Community
Magento Community

Siggi_Schmitz
Enthusiast

OK, that`s cool, i think i will attach the extension in this thread so you can test it, and when it`s all okay, i will put it in my shop.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Siggi_Schmitz
Enthusiast

Hey again,

so, here is the first version!

Just unpack and put the content from the folder “build” in the magento root directory. Don`t worry, the extension will not overwrite any files and will not touch the database.

After that, clear the cache and go to “system / configuration / web / Sig-Tec Pre-Launch”. There you can enable the Pre-Launch modus and select a CMS page which you like to use. The header and footer will be hide automatically when you activate it because i think nobody will leave the header and footer because of the top navigation, the footer links and stuff like that. But i can make it optional, if anybody want.
The extension makes a redirect to this cms page when it`s activated without any 503 error or stuff like that.

Just test it and give me feedback!

File Attachments
sigtec_module_pre_launch.zip  (File Size: 24KB - Downloads: 5)

Magento Community
Magento Community

bowlins

Wow you’re fast!!! And this is an amazing job. I think your new extension shop must be bookmarked as soon as it comes out.

Good news is this extension works perfectly!

I only have two issues though:

1. Extension changes the style of my prelaunch page slightly. I do not know what causes this, but there is now a white frame around the entire page as if it was embedded in a bigger block. It’s interesting that Firebug in Firefox does not highlight that space (because it’s empty?) so I’m not sure it’s a css issue.

I had designed my prelaunch page in html and then pasted it in a static block because that’s what the Cartware Maintenance extension works with. There was no issue then and the static block takes the whole browser without empty frames. Should I attach a picture of this?

So my question is: would it be possible to redirect to a static block instead or remove that empty frame?

I think another advantage of the static block is that it would make it possible for the main domain to remain the same. The extension would show something like www.domain.com/cms_url_name. A .htaccess redirect would still keep www.domain.com and I am guessing a static block (insofar as not linked to a page) would do the same? I suspect this may also be better from a SEO perspective, as the homepage could be indexed as homepage.

Your extension solves the issue of the newsletter though, so it is certainly better than a simple .htaccess redirect.

2. My second issue is with IP bypassing. At the moment I would not be able to work on my store as I am, too, redirected to the prelaunch page.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Siggi_Schmitz
Enthusiast

Hi,

oh, i had forget the IP feature, you`re right. I will now implement it.
Because of the static block instead of the cms page (with non cms page name after the shop Domain) that`s a good idea, i will change it now.
And because of the style, i think you have put a complete HTML style in the cms page? With <html> and <body> tag`s? You have to remove it because the magento maintaince mode just includes a html file which needs the <html> wrapper elements but my extensions just display the cms page so the <html> wrapper (you can see with firebug) from magento are still there. When you want a special style for this cms page, you can put CSS in the cms. Is that what you`re talking about?

I will notice you when i uploaded the next version, it will be today.

Magento Community
Magento Community

bowlins

I think that from a hypothetical customer’s perspective it would be a good idea to give the option for both cms and static block. Some people may be happier with cms as it is easy for metadata, and even layout.

However, in my case static block works better. My static block includes a head, header, body and footer (all cut and pasted into the block). I actually prefer this because the layout of a prelaunch page is totally different (no toplinks, no searchbar, no nav bar, etc.) and it’s not that difficult to make.

It may sound complicated but just as an idea: you could even add “example” templates. My first version was based on . I now have an entirely different one but I should thank Orman Clark and João Sardinha for making this template available.

Theirs is a very simple template based on css. I just adapted the html and added it to the static block along with the css at the beginning within <style></style> tags. I guess you could adapt it yourself and even include it in a premium version or something? Because css and html would be all in a static block there wouldn’t be the need to add anything else. I could send you the file if you wanted to have a look at how I did it.

And even going further for those who cannot create a html page, the admin area might even include fields such as title and description for the metadata of the static block so that search engines pick it up? (they would only be adding this data to the head of the new redirected page). I personally don’t need this but just in case you are thinking of creating a premium version or adding extra features.

Thanks again for your work. I can’t wait to try the next version

Magento Community
Magento Community

Siggi_Schmitz
Enthusiast

Hey mate,

the new version (0.2.0) is ready for testing smile

Changes:

1) Now you have to select a cms block instead of a cms page. So now you have not a “www.domain.de/cms_page_name” as a redirect target, now its www.domain.de because i`ve manipulate the cms home page content with observers and makes not a redirect to a new site.

2) Now i remove the complete head with all css and javscript includes from the Pre-Launch page content. So you can add your complete HTML-Site with the <head>, <body> into the content from the cms block with your own css (and js when you want) no shop styles will conflict with it. Just copy and paste your Pre-Launch site.

3) Allowed IPs feature is done, you can enter one or more IP`s comma seperated. Tested on my local system and it worked.

Thanks for your ideas for the final version, i will notice me all.

Happy testing and feel free to give me a new Feedback, mate!

EDIT: I just see that the <html> <head> and <body> wrapper (but without css styles) is still on the page, so i will have a look to remove it too, but you can try this version till then.

File Attachments
sigtec_module_pre_launch_0.2.0.zip  (File Size: 26KB - Downloads: 19)

Magento Community
Magento Community

Siggi_Schmitz
Enthusiast

Hey,

try the new version 0.2.1.

Now the <html>, <head>, <body> etc. wrappers are really removed. The only thing i cannot remove is one <div> which wraps the whole site (but without style) but i think this will be no problem when a <div> wrapps <html> (okay that`s absolute not HTML validate, but for the moment i don`t know how to remove, that`s not easy).

You can take this version, tomorrow i will work again on the extension.

File Attachments
sigtec_module_pre_launch_0.2.1.zip  (File Size: 26KB - Downloads: 56)

Magento Community
Magento Community

bowlins

It’s perfect!!!! IP bypassing works seamlessly and styles are not changed by Magento default stylesheets. The url stays as www.domain.com. So visitors and search engines will not see strange things happening. I think you have a very good extension here!!!

In fact, I just have a confirmation email from http://www.checkupdown.com/ that my page is UP, something which before it was impossible to get in maintenance mode.

I just wanted to say thank you very much for this. I honestly believe this is great work. Please let me know if you decide to publish it in Magento Connect and I’ll recommend it and review it.

I’ve seen developers referring to examples of people using their extensions. Please feel free to mention my address http://www.magento.com if you think it would benefit you. I should have my prelaunch page for a few months still

All the best with your new shop

Magento Community
Magento Community

Siggi_Schmitz
Enthusiast

Hi,

that`s good news, i`m happy that the extension works fine at you.
I will notice you via PM and in this thread when my shop is online, i will also publish all my extensions on magento connect. And maybe i will create a premium version from this extension for a few € (cms block like now and cms page with fields for meta data, title, css etc. to help people who don`t want to add a complete HTML page and stuff like this).

Good luck with your shop and happy business!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mapoftassie

Total Posts:  8

Siggi_Schmitz - 13 September 2013 03:30 AM

Hi,

that`s good news, i`m happy that the extension works fine at you.
I will notice you via PM and in this thread when my shop is online, i will also publish all my extensions on magento connect. And maybe i will create a premium version from this extension for a few € (cms block like now and cms page with fields for meta data, title, css etc. to help people who don`t want to add a complete HTML page and stuff like this).

Good luck with your shop and happy business!

HI, I am also starting out and don’t know much about website programs but am enjoying learning.  What is the protocol on the use of your product?  If it’s ok to use it, are you able ti give directions.  I copied the zip folder to my Cpanel, but it cannot unzip within the cpanel so I can’t copy all the stuff into the Magento root folder as you suggested.

Many thanks

Map of Tassie

Magento Community
Magento Community

Siggi_Schmitz
Enthusiast

Hi,

of course you can use it.
And do you don´t have FTP-Access to your server? With FTP you can upload the unzipped folder content. I think in your CPanel you will find the FTP access data.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2