Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Install Nightmare

gibby

Total Posts:  3

Ive FTP up all the files & followed the guidelines as my host is php4

when I try to run the install i get this message

The requested URL /cgi/php5-cgi/magento/index.php was not found on this server.

now I have updated th ht access file and dragged it across but it keeps disappearing, so it isnt showing direclty in the magento folder

I think I need to edit it to show a path or something & unsure on doing this too

any help would be appreciated

thanks

G

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Simon King

Total Posts:  46

what ftp client are you using? You may need to change an option to ‘show hidden files’ or something similar, as .htaccess files are sometimes hidden because they start with a .

With regards to your cgi problem - does your host provide any information to help you run php5 applications? They should be able to tell you the correct path to use for the php5 cgi binary.

Simon

Magento Community
Magento Community

gibby

Hi & thanks for that, it was hidden but now I can see it

for the cgi, I know where the file should be stored & its there

I think the problem may be down to what changes I need to make to the ht access file but not sure what

G

Magento Community
Magento Community

Simon King

Are you able to create a phpinfo.php file in the magento directory and run it to verify that your php5 cgi is loading. I’d assume you’ll get the same (or similar) error message, but it’s much easier to debug the issue running a simple script rather than magento.

Magento Community
Magento Community

gibby

if I try to run my domain//cgi-bin/php5-cgi

I get the error The requested URL /cgi-bin/php5-cgi was not found on this server.

Sorry to be thick but I dont know how to create a phpinfo.php file in the magento directory

thanks

G

Magento Community
Magento Community

Simon King

Create a file in your magento directory called phpinfo.php and in it put:

<?php echo phpinfo();

Then go to http://www.your-domain.com/phpinfo.php

If it works you should see a page listing your php version and all the modules you have installed.

It sounds at this stage like it won’t work though, but will be much easier to correct the problem with just this page.

Simon

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community