Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Move top.links out of header and into left column? 

misteraven

Total Posts:  10

I’ve searched extensively and actually did find a few threads providing solutions to similar problems/requests, but none helped me. Anyhow, I’ve been trying all day to figure this out…

I just want to move the top.links (My Account, My Wishlist, etc) out of the header and into the left column in its own content block.

Can anyone help? I’m still trying to wrap my head around theming in Magento, so please explain in detail.

Thanks.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

misteraven

anybody… please?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Voot

Total Posts:  261
Long Beach, CA

I’m not 100% positive but I believe you can change this through the Catalog.xml file. Open that file and do a search for “top.links” then change the location from “header” to “left”. I’ll double check for you when I have a chance.

Magento Community
Magento Community

misteraven

i’ve been working on my templates, so perhaps that why, but…

my catalog.xml file doesn’t have a “top.links”

Magento Community
Magento Community

misteraven

still stuck…

1 reply in a week… is it really that tough to do this?!

Magento Community
Magento Community

misteraven

i’m beginning to lose faith… i’ve literally tried for hours to figure this out and have now waited patiently for help from the community for over a week. is what i’m asking just impossible to do or is there not nearly as many people around that know magento well enough to be able to help or at least point me in the right direction.

the magento design guide really didn’t clarify this issue enough for me to be able to solve.

anybody, please?!

Magento Community
Magento Community

misteraven

I will gladly Paypal $20 to anyone that can give me a correct answer on this within the next 30 minutes.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Voot

Total Posts:  261
Long Beach, CA

Hi sorry I didn’t have time to reply, its a busy week for me. Check the page.xml file, the top links are referenced there.

Magento Community
Magento Community

misteraven

actually the reference to top.links is found in customer.xml, but knowing that isn’t enough to help me accomplish moving them to the left column.

I added the following code to catalog.xml which moved most of the links, but ‘My Account’ and ‘My Wishlist’ stayed in the header.

<reference name="left">
      <
block type="page/template_links" name="top.links" as="topLinks"/>
</
reference>

Now, I’d like to remove the rest of the links so all are in the left column, but also try and have it show on every page except when on the account pages or the checkout pages.

I’ve literally spent days trying to figure this out and though I’ve managed to move at least some of those links, it honestly has not made a lot of sense to me even after doing it.

I’d sincerely appreciate some help, and still willing to paypal someone $20 that can help me accomplish the above, as well as explain the process to me.

Magento Community
Magento Community

maooley

Total Posts:  29

Find anything regarding this issue??

I am trying to do something similar… I want to move my “toplinks-bar” and “search-bar” to the header instead of inside <div class="outline-creator">, which is where it currently resides.

I tried to do this by copying the code below from the “2columns-left.phtml” file to the “header.phtml” file. When I do this, the divs “toplinks-bar” and “search-bar” show up in the header, however, there is no content within the divs. Below is the code I am copying from “2columns-left.phtml” to “header.phtml”:

<div class="toplinks-bar">
<?php echo $this->getChildHtml('store_language') ?>
<?php echo $this->getLayout()->getBlock('header')->getWelcome() ?>
<?php echo $this->getChildHtml('topLinks') ?>
</div>

<div class="search-bar">
<?php echo $this->getChildHtml('topSearch') ?>
</div>

And below is what gets returned in the header:

<div class="toplinks-bar">Welcome user!</div>
<div class="search-bar"></div>

The divs show up, but the actual content for toplinks and searchbar is not there.

Any idea??

Thanks,

Matt

Magento Community
Magento Community

maooley

Total Posts:  29

yo… misteraven check out this thread… helped me:

http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/20267/

make sure you are refreshing cache.