Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Simplify Adding Products & Attributes

PaulAlford

Total Posts:  64
Summerville, SC

For those of us trying to get a Magento cart running, and are inexperienced with all these code things, I wish you guys would SIMPLIFY the process of adding a product, then selecting options and attributes.  It seems so convuluted right now, WAYYYY too many steps to create a simple product with color and size options. 

Also, if one day you could add to the list to add to Magento… the ability to show a thumbnail pic of these optional choices for a product.  We have a product (vehicle wraps) that is available for different makes and models of vehicles, AND hundreds of designs for each.  I would love to have the ability to do what http://www.skinit.com does.  You pick a product, then keep choosing/selecting your make, model, etc.. and then design and the image shows you EXACTLY what your product will look like.  The very make, model with the very design you chose… and then hit ORDER.  Done.  Whoever designed that website is a genious !! and you guys might want to call him (or her) !!!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

AngelEyes

Total Posts:  74

I have to agree on the complexity of creating products with different options like size or colour.

Duplicating a product for each size is crazy and what happens if you decide you need to edit the product description? Have you got to edit every single version seperately for all sizes and all colours?

I hope this will be simplified soon, at least so that changes to the ‘template’ product are reflected in each size/colour etc. variant.

Adam

Magento Community
Magento Community

PaulAlford

Summerville, SC

Even XCart has got a soooo much easier way to add products and their options & variants.  Its all on 1 PAGE.. and you just click and go.  Easy.  Is there some way you guys can make Magento set up this way ?  I am about ready to buy XCart and forget Magento.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Lior
Magento Team

Total Posts:  293

@Adam,
If you are not going to have simple products that are forming your configurable product listed on the site, you will not have to modify any information for them
all you will have to modify is the description for the configurable product.
Did you look into the “Quick simple product creation” in the “Associated Products” section of the configurable product?
This section allow you to create quickly all the combinations that you need for your configurable product

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brett

Total Posts:  121

PaulAlford - 22 April 2008 06:49 AM

...I am about ready to buy XCart and forget Magento.

Many of us are, Paul. And, it’s not because we don’t like Magento. It’s simply because Magento, in its current state, can’t handle what we need it to handle. Sure, we could wait for Magento to improve. Some people have that flexibility. Others among us want to get a shop up and selling products as soon as possible. Still others among us aren’t really selling complicated products and so Magento meets our needs without any hassle.

It’s just a matter of necessity here…

Magento Community
Magento Community

PaulAlford

Summerville, SC

Agree 100% Brett.  I was one who played with Magento for many months (coming from OSCommerce), learning it from scratch, and was very excited about the cart coming out of production.  Yes, the lack of handling the NEED is why I would move on.  Afterall, getting a cart going is not just about the “getting it up” because thats short term… we also have to consider the long term and how easy (or not) it will be to ad more products, options, variations, price modifiers, etc… and with Magento (right now) is sorely lacking.  I actually LOVE Magento, and wish the best for its success, but I may not be one who utilizies it because by then, I will have moved on to somehing else.  Then we will have been so invested in that cart (maybe XCart) that I wont look back. 

Now that I have seen other carts and how they handle the products and editing options/variants, I see how easy it CAN be and just want the easy way out now.  I am sure Magento can be edited (with quite a few steps and process that I dont see as “easy") to get the product’s options and variations looking the same, but why would I want to fight a fight like that when I dont HAVE to ?  No dig on Magento and the tam that has put this monster together - just the opposite… I can see how complicated and complex it is and salute the hard work, but its just not quite ready for the big league I am afraid.... yet.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brett

Total Posts:  121

Paul, the way I look at it is this: For the current site I’m working on, we will almost certainly not be using Magento. This is simply because we need the site to be production ready pretty soon here, and it doesn’t look like Magento is gonna be able to handle our main products (all of which are highly configurable) any time soon.

However, for future projects, I would definitely consider Magento. No one says that just because you use a specific cart software on one of your sites, you have to become an “expert” at that particular software. That’s the difference between being a business owner and manager, and being a one man show. There will always be someone to hire to become an expert, or who already is an expert, at what ever shopping cart software you are considering. Hell, there are even firms (Varien included) that will take on an entire project and build a site from scratch for you, albeit for a hefty price.

I think, at some point in time, each of us has to ask ourselves, what are we? Do we want to be the guy at the top of the ladder who is directing everything, or do we want to be the guy who goes down into the trenches to meticulously handle each and every detail. There’s really no right answer, as it completely depends on your business model and the plan you’ve drawn out for yourself.

We already have a few sites up and running on a production level, and are simply looking at bringing another one up. Magento was considered for the site, but due to the lack of complicated attribute handling, it is being pushed back in the (short) list of candidates. Personally, I like what Magento has to offer. I think it’s a clean layout and uses a lot of cutting edge techniques. Because of that, I’ve spent some time in the trenches, looking at the ins and outs of Magento. Would I continue to do that? Probably not.

At this point, I’m most likely gonna use another shopping cart software for my current project, and take a look at Magento periodically to see if its feature set continues to improve. Will I consider it for future projects? Most certainly. Hell, I plan on keeping a Magento site online just to see how it does in the search engine listings and how its conversion rates stack up.

I would like to echo your sentiments, it is most certainly not ready for the big league. However, it has more promise than anything out there right now.

-Brett

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community