Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Testing a new design package for a live site

lucyhughes

Total Posts:  3

Hi,

I am new to Magento, so apologies if I have missed something obvious.

I want to make some style changes to an existing Magento site that is live to the public. I want to create a new design package, but test this using the live database. How can I see style changes in this new design package without putting it live?

I have read all about creating a new design package, but I am missing the workflow of how to develop and test this. I do not want to make changes to the live site until my client has checked and is happy with the changes. After this I will push it live.

Thanks for any help.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

lucyhughes

Total Posts:  3

I am new to Magento and am having trouble deciding the best workflow. I have been asked to make some design tweaks, just style and layout. The site I am working from is live and I do not want to make changes to the live theme. I want development site that is not public but which I can share with colleagues to test and sign off.

I do not have contact with the original developers and I am not too experienced with server changes and setting up source control.

The Magento docs suggest that multiple store views can be used for AB testing design packages, so I am thinking the best way to get started is to create a new store view for my existing store, which is password protected and excluded from search engine indexing. I can then use this as my sandbox for theme changes. However, this seems convoluted and I suspect there will be a simpler workflow. What are the recommendations?

Magento Community
Magento Community

TemplateStudio

Total Posts:  9
Milton Keynes

hey Lucy,
sure you can try a multi store option, but personally i don’t like its..too messy:) i wouldn’t risk it ..if a website is crawled and ranking.

Personally i do it locally(download the current store, u might want to create a back up and then start making changes)
Another option is to upload the store to dev location(with spiders blocked from crawling) and u can show to the client the preview for approval if changes are extensive.

Hope this helps
Nick

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community