Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

database trouble

porridj

Total Posts:  4

hiya
i was having errors like the database timing out and shutting down etc so i got in touch with servage and they asked me to back up my database and swap it onto a new one.

i edited /www.jackrabbitt.net/new_shop/app/etc/local.xml to the new database but now the site is broken and its still looking for the old database...where am i meant to be looking?

any help would be appreaciated
cheers

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Simon King

Total Posts:  46

I think that’s the right place, but it may be that your old configuration is being cached. Try deleting magento/var/cache and /tmp/magento if they contain anything

Magento Community
Magento Community

porridj

your a genius...thank you so much smile i had been searching the forums and help stuff for ages!

is there any way of speeding magento up do you know? i seen lots of threads talking about different things but i dont understand what they are saying. I am new to this world of php and database stuff, teaching myself if quite difficult with a brand new program

once again thank you for your help

dan

Magento Community
Magento Community

Simon King

Total Posts:  46

No probs!

There are quite a few threads, wiki pages and groups describing different ways to speed up Magento. The trouble is, with a shared hosting environment like servage you’re pretty limited as to what you can do. Things you’d normally try are:

* Optimising MySQL/InnoDB configuration
* Switching KeepAlives on in Apache
* Installing an opcode cache like APC
* Moving your cached directory into a tmpfs (in-memory filesystem)

I’m sure there are other ways too, and more being discovered all the time.

If you’re serious about hosting a Magento store you might want to look for a web host who offers VPS or dedicated servers and understands the performance challenges Magento site owners face. Varien have partnerships with some, and some are active on these forums. The more hassle you can offload to your webhost the better :o)

If you’re new to PHP you’re probably looking at one of the most complex, but also one of the best-written PHP applications around. It’ll be a tough challenge to learn, but you’ll be glad when you’ve done it.

Having said that the way Magento is written and supported you’ve got a whole community of people working alongside you, so there’ll always be someone to help out.

Magento Community
Magento Community

porridj

Aye thats why im so determined to use magento, it looks like its build solidly, i created my own oscommerce site last november, but as soon as i heard about magento, i was just waiting for the full release! its amazing and im looking forward to my site going live!

i will just leave the speed for now as i dont want to break it lol

cheers for your help

dan
( https://shop.jackrabitt.net if your interested)

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community