Magento Forum

Page 1 of 3
Performance in Version 1.0

informix

Total Posts:  3
Germany

Hello,
i am sold on this new shop-system, but there is a little, but very important thing. The performance is very bad. Even on a very power-full server 3GB memory, dual core CPU, etc.
Therefore i have search around and found an entry in /app/Mage.php ”Varien_Profiler::enable();

Is it possible that there is a profiler running in productive version? I removed this line and the shop goes faster.
I think there is enough power for productive systems if the code is reviewed.

I am new to this shop code, so please don`t take it amiss.  grin

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

yanni

Total Posts:  8

Magneto is a great shop. Well done guys.
But at the moment it is not really usable. I didn’t see one single shop online (expect from the demo shop) where performance was OK. I am running magento on a dedicated server. Checking out a product lasts about 20 Seconds and I have seen that behaviour in other Magento Shops too.

Does anybody have a good performance with this shop?

Informix: Can you post your URL ? I would like to see how fast it is when disabling the profilier.

Magento Community
Magento Community

informix

Germany

@yanni,
the only open-accessable server where i have a demo installed is a very small v-server System.

http://magento.shop-customizing.com

Magento Community
Magento Community

yanni

informix:
I stopped counting seconds when adding a product to the cart (more than 15) on your site . Same problem on your server that I have on my server.

I am really wondering who will use Magento with that kind of performance.

Magento Community
Magento Community

informix

Germany

i will try to review the code the next days. I think it is possible to get this shop working on normal web-servers cool smile

The underlying framework is very good, and the shop has a wonderful interface. It would be a pity if the shop don’t became faster for productive use.

Magento Community
Magento Community

yanni

informix: I sent you an PM.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Lightning

Yes, I thought that was just our test server dragging. This is not looking very good. The performance will need to increase substantially to keep us with this cart. Other than than, very happy.

Magento Community
Magento Community

dan_w

Total Posts:  290

In terms of performance, I do think that its there, it just has to be found. Take a look at the blog post about speeding up magento and this should help, particularly the part about tweaking the my.conf file and especially the part about database replication and master/slave databases. We have implemented both of these and they have made a BIG difference. We are also going to be looking into an image serving platform. Even without, in our test environment, the front-end is pretty darn speedy for the customer. There still are some hang-ups in the backend though in terms of adding/editing products, adding modifying categories, and adding/managing attributes. Those are really the only spots that aren’t quick. In our test environment, we have thousands of products loaded, 221 categories across 15 different websites, and many attributes that have hundreds of possible values. Even given this, I wouldn’t call the backend “unusable”, just not as efficient as it could be.

Dan

Magento Community
Magento Community

Crucial Web Host
Guru

Total Posts:  364
Phoenix, AZ

Hello Dan,

dan_w - 05 April 2008 12:15 PM

In terms of performance, I do think that its there, it just has to be found.

I agree.  There seems to be a widely held misconception that because Magento is an ‘open source/free’ software that it should not need a solid staging platform. 

I see a lot of posters often complain of performance but then hear that they are paying $3.99/mo for their hosting.  It’s even worse to find that many of these same people are actually doing legitimate business from these hosting environments and exposing their clients to a great degree of insecurity by the nature of budget shared hosting.

While a dedicated server is certainly not required to run Magento it’s necessary to have reasonable expectations when evaluating a software package of the scale of Magento.  You can’t just slap an install on some shared hosting account and throw in the towel because it’s slow - of course it’s slow in this environment, this isn’t WordPress or similar.

dan_w - 05 April 2008 12:15 PM

we have thousands of products loaded, 221 categories across 15 different websites, and many attributes that have hundreds of possible values. Even given this, I wouldn’t call the backend “unusable”, just not as efficient as it could be.

This is fantastic to hear.  Looks like you all have taken a professional approach to deploying Magento and are well on your way to great success smile

Thanks for sharing!
Rick

Magento Community
Magento Community

yanni

Crucial Web Host:
“I see a lot of posters often complain of performance but then hear that they are paying $3.99/mo for their hosting.  It’s even worse to find that many of these same people are actually doing legitimate business from these hosting environments and exposing their clients to a great degree of insecurity by the nature of budget shared hosting.”

Both informix and me are using dedicated servers not shared hosting. Eventhough your Demo Shop ist the frist one I see that is not slow, it’s not really fast either compared to other shops.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Crucial Web Host
Guru

Phoenix, AZ

Oh, I apologize - I was certainly not proposing that ours would be as fast as yours.  I fully understand the optimizations that Dan was referring to - it’s a far cry from shared hosting.  We have few optimizations referred to above and certainly no slave sql servers for the demo/sample products.  It is just that, a demo.

I’d be very interested to learn of your hardware setup.  We have installed this across a variety of hardware and hosting configurations and have found that there is no substitute to power when it comes to Magento.  We’ve tested iSCSI, RAIDS, MPM, Caching technologies, etc -

We are running from what could be considered a very high end dedicated server running Parallels 4.0.  There are a few apache/php tweaks, but nothing too spectacular.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Webtailor Mallorca

Total Posts:  28
Hasselt/Palma de Mallorca

First Impression:
wow, fantastic, cool etc.etc

Second impression:
Not really usable for a production environment.

I tested the shop on several servers, servers where for example osc works like a charm Magento is a turtle.
Front-end = slow, back-end = even slower, up to 6 seconds to get another screen.
We must not forget, the back-end is gonna be used by our clients. When we frustrate them, say goodbye to their business.

This is the only reason for not switching to magento.

Would like to hear some feedback from Roy Rubin about this issue, he must admit this issue.
Roy puts only postive feedback on the blog, annoys me a bit.
Is his team planning to something about this?

Can somebody point me to an “fast running” magento or a magento in a production environment.
Or give “the perfect setup” ?

Listen, dont get me wrong. In potention this system can conquer the e-commerce world, and I will be the first to promote this platform.
But there’s still lots to do, maybe version 1.0 was a bit premature?

Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Administrator

Total Posts:  968
Los Angeles, CA

@Webtailor Mallorca - I suggest before you jump to conclusion you spend some time on the site reading users comments and going through the blog posts. A lot has been said about performance and optimization. In optimal environments, we are extremely pleased with the results and the product is more than ready for prime time. You will soon see enterprise grade clients launch on the platform - we’ll make the announcements once everything is ready.

Enough said from my end, I’ll let the community take over from here.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Crucial Web Host
Guru

Phoenix, AZ

Webtailor Mallorca - 05 April 2008 04:46 PM

Second impression:
Not really usable for a production environment.

May I inquire about the hosting environment you are deploying Magento on?

If you could provide us with the specifications of your staging platform as well as the basics of your server configuration we’ll be happy to provide assistance in optimizing your environment to support Magento.

To compare OSC to Magento is a bit of a under sight on your part.  Magento is certainly not for everyone and thankfully there will always be products like OSC to accommodate these businesses.

If your inventory is very large, over 10,000 products, you should look to things that others have documented here at Magento - such as slave SQL servers for read ops, tmpfs file systems for the var directory to enhance caching, etc.  There’s many optimizations that can be done.

We’ll be happy to help you make Magento work - you just must have reasonable expectations.  Magento is not your standard ecommerce solution and as such it requires specific tuning.  If you could provide your specs I am certain we can help to enhance your experience.

Magento Community
Magento Community

wflorian

Total Posts:  22
Germany

RoyRubin - 05 April 2008 05:17 PM

In optimal environments, we are extremely pleased with the results and the product is more than ready for prime time.

In optimal environments? What would that be? There are still people who would like to use magento but just can not afford a high class managed root server yet with the best hardware!

There is a big thread going on at the german forum, regarding the performance problem. I definitly call it a performance problem, because magento has one. There is no doubt that magento is a great software, but when the performance problem won’t be solved, I do not see many producitve uses of magento…

Magento Community
Magento Community

NinjaTech

Total Posts:  26

You get what you pay for smile

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 3