Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 3
IIS Windows Servers, PHP, Zend, Magento stuff

tzCart

Total Posts:  36
NW Ohio–USA

I’ve got some general concerns of whether Magento in the end will work on IIS without too much trouble.
I mean how many Windows hosts who offer PHP will be able to support Magento?
Where I work they have Windows servers. period. For my own personal projects I could look into an alternative, but not there.
My current Windows host for my personal dev tinkering says they do not offer hosting wtih the ZEND framework.
The servers there run the Plesk control panel, if anyone is familiar with that.
Is it going to be possible to run this ecommerce shopping cart on windows, I’ve seen the wiki article and all that, I’m talking more long term philosophy on the subject.

Also is it possible there will be a charge in the future for Magento? I mean Open source does not necessarily mean “no cost” does it.
If there will be a cost, what is it projected to be?
Just some Q n’ A here, any thoughts.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  968
Los Angeles, CA

I’ll reply to the the ‘charging’ question. Magento is open source and the code is available for free. We do not have plans to charge for Magento. There may be an enterprise version in the future, but Magento itself will always be free.

... and you are right, open source does not mean zero cost.

(from http://wiki.pentaho.org/display/BEEKEEPER/2.+The+Principles+of+Open+Source)

Open source is not free. In 1998 the term ‘open source’ was coined to replace the term ‘free software’ because many people assumed ‘free’ to mean ‘zero cost’ whereas it was always intended to mean ‘freedom’. If you consider the barriers to adoption of open source listed above it becomes clear that the notion of ‘free stuff’ is false. It is true that an organization could use open source software and support itself by hiring technical staff with the necessary skills to:

* Evaluate and select the most suitable open source software or software distribution.
* Integrate and embed the open source software into internal systems.
* Fix any critical defects that are found.
* Decide which patches and releases to migrate to and ensure migrations between versions are free from problems.
* Participate in the communities to ensure the direction that the software is taking suits the organization.
* Train any users or new technical staff.

Organizations have the freedom to do all these things but they should not consider fulfilling these needs to be of zero cost.

If you accept that open source software is not a zero cost solution you must then accept that these costs can occur in the form of time (internal man hours) or money (given to some external organization) or both.

In addition to the costs above there are also risks to be managed.

Magento Community
Magento Community

tzCart

NW Ohio–USA

Thanks for the fast reply Roy, I must not have subscribed to my own thread.
What has me worried is the Zend framework, where I work they’ve just now installed PHP on the servers there.
There’s no way around having the Zend framework then?
I don’t know much about Zend, and adding another technology to the mix only steepens the learning curve.
Somebody mentioned maybe Zend wasn’t required, I kind of doubt it, but don’t know?

It looks like I found some answers in the comments section here:
http://www.magentocommerce.com/blog/comments/inside-magento-2-complete-design-flexibility/

Thanks again.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Total Posts:  1770
Los Angeles

@tzCart: Are you worried about Zend Framework because you think it is something that needs to be installed separately on the server?
In that case rejoice, for Zend Framework is supplied with Magento and does not require additional installation.

And you need to know about Zend Framework only if you plan on contributing modules to Magento smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

Alen

Total Posts:  1

Hmm, what about Win32 + Apache? It is not so unussual to use that combination....

Problems with image uploads can be solved....

Magento Community
Magento Community

tzCart

NW Ohio–USA

My current Dev setup is running a local install of Xampp.
I only know that my two current production hosting packages, 1-work, 1-play are not yet running PHP 5.0.
I think this will soon change though what with php 4.x version being no longer supported or developed.
Granted I can always upgrade my hosting when the time is right wink
I’m kind of in wait and see mode, I prefer windows IIS based hosting though, because that’s what I’m stuck with in the work environment.

Magento Community
Magento Community

mckooter

Total Posts:  91

Alen - 20 September 2007 12:41 PM

Hmm, what about Win32 + Apache? It is not so unussual to use that combination....

Problems with image uploads can be solved....

im running a test server on windows now, so its very possible

as mentioned above theres no need to install zend framework seperately, so that part is fine, and the zend framework itself has no problems with windows servers

as for installing magento as a whole on a windows server, its possible, takes some tweaking though there is a wiki on this subject here:
http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/Installing-on-Windows-with-XAMPP-and-WAMP/

the wiki is for xamp and xampp directly, but most of the problems are things that should be the same on your installation. in the topic title you mention IIS and in the last post you mention apache, so the directions may or may not be correct as to how to fix it, but it should give you an idea of what needs to be fixed.

the main things that are referenced are: (all php based)
enabling mod_rewrite
enabling mcrypt
enabling curl
(possibly enabling and/or changing the php_pdo_mysql.dll file)

there could be more depending on your situation but the guide should be helpful. If you run into any problems let us know and we will see what we can do to get it functioning

Magento Community
Magento Community

tzCart

NW Ohio–USA

Thanks mc, what of this stuff can be installed at web root level though?
None of it I’m guessing, does the Zend framework run at web root level?
I think PHP5 will solve many issues for me, maybe are any of the things you are mentioning native to that?

Thanks for the link to the Xampp thread, I think I may have seen that earlier, but there wasn’t much there at the time.

Magento Community
Magento Community

mckooter

Total Posts:  91

tzCart - 20 September 2007 01:14 PM

Thanks mc, what of this stuff can be installed at web root level though?
None of it I’m guessing, does the Zend framework run at web root level?
I think PHP5 will solve many issues for me, maybe are any of the things you are mentioning native to that?

Thanks for the link to the Xampp thread, I think I may have seen that earlier, but there wasn’t much there at the time.

as for the edits you will need to do, they will need to be done on the actual webserver itself, it involves uncommenting (removing the ; (semicolon) from the beginning of lines, the edits are completed in the php.ini and httpd.conf files, so you will need to have desktop access to the server or an administrator who is willing to make the edits themselves

zend framework itself does not need to be run, its basically just php files that are located with magento and allow it to be programmed a bit differently, theres no need to install anything, you just place the magento files on the server and it already has the nessisary info built in, and the scripts run independantly with no need for you to grant them access

without php5 youd have to go with the cgi solution thats posted in the wiki, and on the forums, i have not used it with magento so i cannot speak of abilities with php4

Magento Community
Magento Community

typemismatch

Total Posts:  34

IIS doesn’t support mod_rewrite or any feature like that while supporting PHP so you’re pretty much always going to have to fall back to Apache but you can run that on Windows. - .NET supports various forms of url rewriting but that isn’t going to help you.

I would assume PHP itself could be modified to support a url rewrite but I’m not going there wink

-c

Magento Community
Magento Community

tzCart

NW Ohio–USA

Revisiting this thread, my place of employment has installed PHP 5.2.1, it was the latest at that time.
Did I see there was any sort of test script, to see if the various components are supported on a remote server before trying to install the cart?
I know I’ve seen scripts like that for testing .asp components, one from pensaworks or something that checks for 300 different com’s.
Can’t seem to find one for PHP, thought maybe I saw mention of it around here?
ty

Magento Community
Magento Community

agmichaca

Total Posts:  5

You can use the info.php

Create a new file called phpinfo.php and put the following line in it;

<?php phpinfo(); ?>

Magento Community
Magento Community

mediademon

Total Posts:  15

We use Windows IIS 6 and PHP 5.2.5, MySQL 4.1

We also use Isapi Rewrite 3 from http://www.helicontech.com/ which emulates mod_rewrite fully .

Zend Optimizer 3.3 is also installed so that should not be a problem too.

What other requirements are there to run Magento successfully on IIS?

And is anyone doing this right now?

Answers on a postcard please (or just reply!)…

Mediademon

Magento Community
Magento Community

mediademon

boing!

Magento Community
Magento Community

mediademon

not very lively round here is it?

Magento Community
Magento Community

TSCAD-FX

Total Posts:  10
Sacramento CA

I’m running it fine.  One small issue that I’m currently working on in regards to magento connect, otherwise it runs great!  There’s a few tweaks and config changes needed, but otherwise it looks like you have the basics.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 3