Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Can Magento only be used on dedicated servers, and recommendation for Aussie hosting? 

Wikid-Art

Total Posts:  13

I have been looking at Magento as an alternative to zen cart, which is the cart I have worked with the most prior to discovering Magento.

So far, the only real deal-breaker for me is the time it takes to load items into the cart. The software hangs for something like 50 - 90 seconds, and then the page slowly begins to load after that.  I have read the posts regarding performance issues, I’ve updated to the new proxy file, and tried this with and without cache enabled. I use dreamhost, and I am accessing the store from Australia.

I understand that shared hosting is not ideal for Magento, and that accessing the site from overseas would not be ideal either. But I just tried the same thing in Zen-cart, and by comparison, placing an item in the cart is almost instant. Grr!

My questions are:

1. Are there any other Australian users here who have had better performance (ie adding an item to the cart) with hosting Magento in Australia rather than in the USA?

2. Is a Dedicated server the minimum requirement in order to get acceptable performance from Magento?

3. Can anyone point me to a magento site with 1000+ products. to check it for speed?

Many thanks for your help!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

whidbey

Total Posts:  20

you see this forum,there is post 10000+products describle… but I forget the link..

Magento Community
Magento Community

Crucial
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  770
Phoenix, AZ

2. Is a Dedicated server the minimum requirement in order to get acceptable performance from Magento?

I’ve seen 1-2 second load times on shared and application hosting, so it’s definitely not out of the question. Are you going to pay $5/month and get acceptable performance? Probably not. But there are other options, like a VPS or semi-dedicated hosting, that won’t break the bank if you’re just starting out with your store.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Fontis

Total Posts:  99
Melbourne, Australia

Wikid-Art - 04 April 2008 08:00 PM

I have acceptable performance on a shared server. Pages load in a second or two at most and most take well under that.

As for whether Australian hosting is faster, in my experience there is very little difference. You will get faster ping times using local hosting but the bandwidth differences is usually negligible.

Forgive me if this is obvious but are you sure it’s not an issue with your client? You mentioned that adding products to the cart hangs for about a minute but does this happen on any other pages?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Wikid-Art

Total Posts:  13

Hi Chris,
Thanks so much for replying to my post.; I really appreciate your help with this.

My site right now is just the demo store, version 1.0, with the sample data installed. I honestly don’t know why it takes so long to load an item into the cart. Typical page loads for products are (barely) acceptable , I guess, but I haven’t populated the site with my own products so I can’t really say how it will perform under any real load.

Whenever I try to put an item into the cart, the page `hangs’ for around 30 seconds or more (worst case scenario, the browser crashes). After the `hanging’ stops, the cart page begins to load slowly.

I have cleared all my firefox cache, and my home PC is a core duo processor with 4 GB ram, with a very fast ADSL 2+ internet broadband account (as fast as you can get in Australia). I can’t explain why Magneto is slow for me, but I cringe thinking of how much slower it would be for an average potential buyer,. who does not have all the lastest PC hardware/ Internet connection speed that I have.

I’ve asked Dreamhost about the problem, and I’ve been investigating the prices for VPS and dedicated servers.  Its all very discouraging, to say the least. If you can suggest anything, I’d be very grateful

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community