Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Importing products - difference between - “admin” and “default”

srinigenie
Guru

Total Posts:  539

Hi all,

I was importing product with ‘store’ set as ‘default’ and everything was fine. Now when I tried to update the description, I observed that the frontend shows the change and the backend doesn’t. On looking at the import process further, understood that Magento imports all data as ‘Admin’ during the first import and then on it looks at the store field passed through import. Since in my case this is set to ‘default’, the front end reflects the change in description and backend doesnt as it still shows the first imported data (as admin).

This is a bit confusing as the ‘default store view’ gets shown only if we create one more store view. Wonder what the difference is between ‘default’ store view and the admin store view?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

ryanr

Total Posts:  14

I just noticed I’m having the same issue.  Can someone let us know why this is happening.

Magento Community
Magento Community

roco

Total Posts:  191

Aha - This must be the reason I am having such a difficult time importing attribute data onto products that are already in the system.  What should my “store” field be set to on import?  default or admin.  When I use “admin” it tells me that the field does not exist and it skips those rows. :(

Magento Community
Magento Community

ryanr

I did this and it seemed to work.  I changed my upload file type to Excel XML and started saving my upload in that format and that seemed to solve the problem.  Let me know if it works for you.

Magento Community
Magento Community

roco

What version of Excel are you using and what file format did you select?  “ ++++++ “

Thanks - roco

Magento Community
Magento Community

ryanr

I’m using Office 2007.  I selected XML Spreadsheet 2003 in Excel.

Before, when I was uploading all the products I would get an error.  I saved the file in XML format and the error went away, and the product attributes I updated would appear on the Magento backend - not just the frontend.

Magento Community
Magento Community

roco

Thanks ryanr.  All is working well!

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community