Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Make an attribute assignable to more than one item in a configurable product…

Pizzazz-Retail

Total Posts:  5

Hi there

I hope this makes sense, I’ll try and explain it as clearly as I can, but i’m new to Magento......

We are a music store, and I’m currently adding our range of batons to our catalogue. I’ve created one configurable product, and then I’ve created an attribute with all of the various baton sizes as a dropdown, so the customer can choose the length of baton they want.

The problem I have is that some batons are the same length but have a different shaped grip, and once I’ve assigned one length to a particular sku in the associated products, I cant assign it to another product.

I’m sure the solution is simple, but I cant find it!

Thanks

Paul

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Pizzazz-Retail

Total Posts:  5

Can anyone help with this?! I’ve had another look and still no joy.

Thanks

Paul

Magento Community
Magento Community

ladle

Total Posts:  173

Not sure I understand you correctly.  But it sounds like your not grasping how the configurable product works, which everyone has that problem starting out.

You create a configurable product, and then you would create each baton you have as a simple product that is set to show ‘nowhere’ and status enabled.  You then go to the bottom menu inside your configurable product ‘associated products’ and you associate all your simple items with the configurable.

The configurable product will now show all of the batons that are in stock in the dropdown on its item page automatically.  Does this make sense at all?

I’ll try to help out more if I can.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Greg J

Total Posts:  4

To add to that, you’ll need to setup your configurable product with both ‘size’ and ‘grip style’ as the configurable attributes

Magento Community
Magento Community

ladle

Total Posts:  173

Greg J - 22 September 2009 03:03 AM

To add to that, you’ll need to setup your configurable product with both ‘size’ and ‘grip style’ as the configurable attributes

Right, meant to mention that.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community