I just couldn’t understand why the lock displayed poorly on my firefox when IE and Safari were working fine. Usually it’s IE that’s the problem! Anyway after a second wind and scouring through my files i came across “top.phtml” (app/design/frontend/default/MYTHEMEFOLDER/template/catalog/navigation).
I thought that maybe the “getSkinUrl” might be the problem, so I got rid of the php part and just hard coded the filepath like this: src="/shop/skin/frontend/default/theme058/js/menu.js"
When I first refreshed a secure page the lock showed no change, I was bummed. However, a few hours later when I revisited the site, the lock displayed just fine with no errors. (I’m thinking the results might have been delayed because I didn’t clear out my var/cache folder after I made the initial change. Well either by coincidence or not, this seems to have fixed the problem.