Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Should have checked this out before now….. 

tonymul

Total Posts:  19

I didn’t realise there was a UK section to the forum but have found it now. I am just embarking on setting up/building my website using Magento but like so many others find the lack of documentation a hinderance.

The things I want to do seem to me to be simple but getting them figured out in Magento is definitely a challenge.

I would like to have the ability to link to static pages from the menu bar at the top that currently displays the Home...Products links but dont seem to be able to find where/how to do this.

I also would like to have several types of products listed and currently i can get products/categories on the same link but dont know how to get a second set of products on the menu bar - as an example I want to have a products section that has categories of “dry goods”, a products section that has categories of “live foods” and a products section that has categories of “animals” (I own a Reptile businesss).

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Tony

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

J_T_

Total Posts:  1961
London-ish, UK

There’s a file called top.phtml which you can put those links in.

For a second set of products, just make another category and in each product you want in there, tick this category (too). You can put products in as many categories as you want.

Magento Community
Magento Community

tonymul

Thanks for the suggestions. I had tried editing the top.html and have included the amended code below along with a screen shot (picture 6) of how the Home Page looks with this top.phtml. I have the pages referenced created in the CMS under Admin.

<div class="header-nav-container">
<div class="header-nav">
<h4 class="no-display"><?php echo $this->__('Category Navigation:') ?></h4>
<ul id="nav">
<li><a href="<?php echo $this->getUrl() ?>"><?php echo $this->__('Home') ?></a></li>
<li><a href="<?php echo $this->getUrl() ?>"><?php echo $this->__('Directions') ?></a></li>
<li><a href="<?php echo $this->getUrl() ?>"><?php echo $this->__('Available') ?></a></li>
<li><a href="<?php echo $this->getUrl() ?>"><?php echo $this->__('Terms') ?></a></li>
<li onmouseover="toggleMenu(this,1)" onmouseout="toggleMenu(this,0)">
<a href="<?php echo $this->getUrl('') ?>"><?php echo $this->__('Products') ?></a>
<ul>
<?php foreach ($this->getStoreCategories() as $_category): ?>
<?php echo $this->drawItem($_category) ?>
<?php endforeach ?>
</ul>
</li>
<?php echo $this->getLayout()->createBlock('cms/block')->setBlockId('menu')->toHtml(); ?>
</ul>
</div>
<?php echo $this->getChildHtml('topLeftLinks') ?>
</div>

I am also attaching a screen shot (picture 7) of how my Products look and again I did this by adding different categories under the root category (picture 8) but it doesn’t seem to give me what I would like - The Dry Goods and Available listed beside the Products and not under them.

I have temporarily added Directions and Terms as categories, created a Static Block and reference that block in the category just to get the code working.

Thanks for any additional help provided.

Tony

Image Attachments
Picture 8.pngPicture 7.pngPicture 6.png

Magento Community
Magento Community

J_T_

Total Posts:  1961
London-ish, UK

You don’t need to define the categories yourself.

Here’s mine, displays the categories as defined in the admin plus a static link to a CMS page “about us” and “contact us”.  Note the GetURL bits you forgot too. That has to correspond with your identifier set in the CMS bit.

/template/catalog/navigation/top.phtml

/**
 * Top menu for store
 * @see Mage_Catalog_Block_Navigation
 */
?>
<div class="header-nav-container">
    <
div class="header-nav">
<
h4 class="no-display"><?php echo $this->__('Category Navigation:'?></h4>
<
ul id="nav">
    <
li><a href="<?php echo $this->getUrl('') ?>"><?php echo $this->__('Home'?></a></li>    
<?php foreach ($this->getStoreCategories() as $_category): ?>
    <?php 
echo $this->drawItem($_category?>
<?php 
endforeach ?>

<li><a href="<?php echo $this->getUrl('about-us/') ?>"><?php echo $this->__('About Us'?></a></li>
    <
li><a href="<?php echo $this->getUrl('contacts/') ?>"><?php echo $this->__('Contact Us'?></a></li>
</
ul>
    </
div>
</
div>

Magento Community
Magento Community

tonymul

Thanks - I will try these changes and see if that sorts me out.

Thanks again for all of your assistance.

Tony

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community