Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
Zen Cart Migration

landshark

Total Posts:  21

This has been talked about elsewhere but usually mixed in with other topics.

I see that you have released the oscommerce migration tool.

Is here an estimate on when can we expect one for Zen Cart? Days, weeks months?

Thanks in advance

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Ross
Guru

Total Posts:  336
Scarborough, North Yorkshire, UK

Zen Cart is just a fork of osCommerce, I’m sure the data can’t be too different.  Why not try the osCommerce import tool?

I’m sure you could massage the data in a spreadsheet if something needs changing.

Magento Community
Magento Community

landshark

Ross,

Thanks for the response. I knew the Zen cart was a fork initiated several years ago but I was/am worried that there were sufficient changes to where it wouldn’t work.

With that said, I did try to do the import using the oscommerce tool and it worked for our 2000+ customers (within the known limitations) and also 200+ products (as best i can tell so far) it did not seem to import any of the orders, which is not a huge problem but would be nice to have for historical data.

Thanks,

Mike

Magento Community
Magento Community

daYmo

Total Posts:  12

Hi there,

did someone succeed importing data from Zen Cart in magento using the OsCommerce migration tool or using an sql script or a php import script ?
Thanks for your feedback.

daYmo

Magento Community
Magento Community

jackstraw

Total Posts:  62
Carbondale,Colorado

Hi folks, at first glance I am fairly impressed. 

Has there been any headway on this?  I have my programmer working on a driver for zencart and a payment processor.  I would like to tell him to stop what he is doing.  I have absolutely had it with trying to style third party crap. smile

I am digging Magento so far.  A few more hours under the hood and I will be able to get around it a bit better.  I am however pretty much done with the zencart gig.  If I could simply port my data I think I could sort the rest of it pretty quickly.  I only have a few products with attributes and such.

Nice work folks!

Nigel Lew

Magento Community
Magento Community

daYmo

Total Posts:  12

Ok thanks. I sent you a mail.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Pixx

Total Posts:  9

Could anyone who has successfully imported data from a zencart (or OSC) store into Magento using the OSCommerce import mod please post how they got it to work properly?

We’re waiting for this mod to be fixed before moving to Magento - no updates seem to have been made to it for a few weeks now.

Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

msport7

Total Posts:  41
Atlanta, GA, USA

We had a successful (?) import of our ZenCart database in to Magento, using the osCommerce import tool.

We finally got it to work by following the guide in the Wiki (http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/creating_an_oscommerce_import_profile) and renaming the database tables. That was the problem for us—database table names. We made a copy of our existing Zen Cart db, then renamed all of the tables (in the copy). The reason to rename the tables was to remove the prefix (zencart_tablename renamed to tablename). After we did that, the import tool did what it was suppose to . . . . . kind of!

Here’s what the import tool did not do (I don’t think it is designed to do so, either): It did not import references to additional photos, so every product was imported with only its default image. No attributes were imported. Some odd characters showed up in the product descriptions, but that could be to do with character sets, not sure. The product descriptions were dumped in to both the description field and the short description field. Product and category META did not import. Product and category sort settings were dropped.

So, for us, even after using the import tool—we will basically have to go back to every imported product and re-do. Customers and orders did import just fine, though.

We really like a lot of the features of Magento, and we had been seriously considering migrating. However, we’re not sure if it is worth the effort—yet. Zen Cart works flawlessly and it feels a lot more stable. Zen Cart is, at least in our experience, much faster than Magento. So, right now, I think we’ll keep our Zen Cart up and running and keep our eyes on Magento.

Hope that helps!

Pixx - 06 July 2008 04:34 AM

Could anyone who has successfully imported data from a zencart (or OSC) store into Magento using the OSCommerce import mod please post how they got it to work properly?

We’re waiting for this mod to be fixed before moving to Magento - no updates seem to have been made to it for a few weeks now.

Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

max_w

Total Posts:  3

I used SOAP. It worked for me. I guess this post is meant for a programmer or someone who can read code.

You will need to create a mapping_table with fields id, new_id. And a customer_mapping_table with the same fields. You would use this table to map old customer ids to new customer ids if you want to import orders, which I did not.

Max

File Attachments
importCategories.php  (File Size: 4KB - Downloads: 761)
importCustomers.php  (File Size: 3KB - Downloads: 694)
importProducts.php  (File Size: 5KB - Downloads: 727)

Magento Community
Magento Community

max_w

Total Posts:  3

Run importCategory.php, importProduct.php and importCustomer.php

Make sure you change the zencart table prefixes.

importCustomer doesn’t import customer address information. But at least customers will be able to login using their old information.

max_w

Magento Community
Magento Community

freshwebs

Total Posts:  153
Leicestershire, UK

Hi max_w,
Your link posts back to this thread - could you please update the link?

Also, a little bit of info re: which files to run 1st, sequence etc would be helpful.
Thanks,
Eddie

Magento Community
Magento Community

lilicrashes

Total Posts:  30

msport7 - 09 July 2008 09:01 AM

We had a successful (?) import of our ZenCart database in to Magento, using the osCommerce import tool.

We finally got it to work by following the guide in the Wiki (http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/creating_an_oscommerce_import_profile) and renaming the database tables. That was the problem for us—database table names. We made a copy of our existing Zen Cart db, then renamed all of the tables (in the copy). The reason to rename the tables was to remove the prefix (zencart_tablename renamed to tablename). After we did that, the import tool did what it was suppose to . . . . . kind of!

Here’s what the import tool did not do (I don’t think it is designed to do so, either): It did not import references to additional photos, so every product was imported with only its default image. No attributes were imported. Some odd characters showed up in the product descriptions, but that could be to do with character sets, not sure. The product descriptions were dumped in to both the description field and the short description field. Product and category META did not import. Product and category sort settings were dropped.

So, for us, even after using the import tool—we will basically have to go back to every imported product and re-do. Customers and orders did import just fine, though.

We really like a lot of the features of Magento, and we had been seriously considering migrating. However, we’re not sure if it is worth the effort—yet. Zen Cart works flawlessly and it feels a lot more stable. Zen Cart is, at least in our experience, much faster than Magento. So, right now, I think we’ll keep our Zen Cart up and running and keep our eyes on Magento.

Hope that helps!

Pixx - 06 July 2008 04:34 AM

Thanks

Hi, I have zen car but the tables are not looking like zencart_tablename, but more of a wcTblename… Do you know if I just remove the wc?

also if I rename the table do I lose it? I also tried to install the plugin, but keep getting pear error messages…

Magento Community
Magento Community

superdak

Hi,

I’m interested in converting a few sites from Zen to Magento.... and I do know they have a utility that will convert an oscommerce site to Zen, So my plan was to see if I could reverse the data flow in that utility to put the zen data in a oscommerce database and then use Magento’s utility to finish the job.

Is this a good plan of attack, or just flawed logic??

Magento Community
Magento Community

hydra
Guru

Total Posts:  378
Amsterdam

Any updates??

Magento Community
Magento Community

tj111

Total Posts:  1

I tried using the import tool.  For some reason it only imports 50% of my customers info then a pop up saying “error”.  I would love to migrate from Zen cart to Magento.  Hopefully there will be a import tool that will be made for Zencart.

Magento Community
Magento Community

SoCalCreations

Total Posts:  10

VisualFrames - 03 June 2008 07:58 AM

We have recently migrated a 1500+ product zencart store into Magento.

Feel free to contact us if you need help.

V.F

Please send me back a PM and we’ll exchange info....btw, your Magento Theme store site looks really nice, but how come all the block links all lead to a page that says

Whoops, our bad…

The page you requested was not found, and we have a fine guess why.

* If you typed the URL directly, please make sure the spelling is correct.
* If you clicked on a link to get here, the link is outdated.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2