Were you able to import images into your Magento store via csv or XML
Yes 122
No 250
Total Votes: 372
You must be a logged-in member to vote
Image Import—Does It Work? 

A Joyful Affair

Total Posts:  7

I’ve been searching around the forum,and I don’t see a clear answer on whether image import works or not.
I just want to know if it works or is scheduled to roll out with an upcoming patch.

There’s a lot of things we can let go while Magento develops but manual image import is resource intensive.

It would be nice to see something from the devs about the current state of the import/export,i.e. which fields currently work on the import.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

srinigenie
Guru

Total Posts:  539

http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/5120

Magento Community
Magento Community

A Joyful Affair

HA HA! Thanks a million Srinigenie - it works - can I change my vote? grin

anyway you should definitely go to that thread but the short answer is

put your images in the media/import folder

add a slash to the front of the image file /image.jpg

works!!

Magento Community
Magento Community

srinigenie
Guru

Total Posts:  539

now for something in return wink ....does description import work for you ?? if so, can you please upload your csv? Thanks!!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Spek

Total Posts:  77

I’ve sent you one through PM.

Magento Community
Magento Community

NickL

Total Posts:  188

I’d like to keep this thread going…

Is anyone still having trouble importing images?

I’ve placed the images in media/import, tried putting a “ / “ in front of the images, set the store to default & admin… but I’m still having trouble getting images the images to attach to their products.  As of now, the images will show for the product, but upon import they are all set to “exclude” which causes me to have to manually uncheck this for each item.

Has anyone been able to import a .CSV or .XML sheet with images and have them show on the frontend correct without any manual re-saving?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Spek

Total Posts:  77

Yeah NickL I got it to work after a while, they were never set to ‘exclude’ for me though.
Are you sure the directories are read- and writeable?

Magento Community
Magento Community

NickL

@Ben

Yep, my permissions are correct. 757 on media and its subs. The files show up fine.. its just wierd that Magento sets them to “exclude”, grrrrr

Magento Community
Magento Community

A Joyful Affair

it would probably be easier to switch the ‘enabled’ flag using phpmyadmin—not that that’s a solution

this seems like a weird error for someone to have and others dont

there is a Mage_Media flag that can be set in System -> Configuration --> Advanced --->Advanced mine is enabled, i dont know what it does, but all of the flags on that config page are enabled for me

Magento Community
Magento Community

Richard H

Total Posts:  12

I have one Website, with one Store and 5 store views.

The first store view has the Exclude option checked after a import of one or more images per product. The other 4 store views don’t have the Exclude option checked.

When I add a thumb and a small image for each item, i get every image 3 times in the “More Views” part on the product level. The thumb and the small image should be excluded by default.

Is there a way to say for each type of image if it should be excluded or not on import?

Magento Community
Magento Community

NickL

Now THAT is weird… i’m going to test it on my own.. and see the results. Very odd.  But at least we’re narrowing down the details. I have one store, with one store view.

Magento Community
Magento Community

NickL

Update: Success!

@Richard H. Thanks for the tip… that put me on the right path;

Until now, I had one store with one store view. Everytime I did an import, the images would be imported but always set to EXCLUDE. In my XML spreadsheet everything looked ok, the Store name was Set to “Admin’, all the attributes had columns, proper SKU, price, etc. Everything worked fine except the images were excluded (odd right?)

So, after reading Richard H’s post about the images NOT being excluded on other store views, I went and added another store view. Just for kicks. I dont need it, nor will I use it but I thought it might help. 

I then re-uploaded a test product, changed the STORE Column to “Default” instead of “Admin” (again just for kicks), and.. low and behold...it worked. The product and corresponding image was uploaded and it WAS NOT set to exclude. Everything worked fine.

So the question is still… whats the issue with Store Views and the conflict with Images?

Magento Community
Magento Community

cibernoid

Total Posts:  208

I can import images succesfully but the small images and thumbnails are display in the product view in the image gallery along with the main image.
I put all base, small and thumbs in media foloder. Any tips?

Magento Community
Magento Community

tiagomatos

Total Posts:  10

I confirm it works, not perfectly but with some effort it does…

I have accomplish to import 200 products with images by following this steps:

On the CSV:
store: admin
image:/800/c1604.jpg
small:/135/c1604.jpg
thumbnail:/75/c1604.jpg

Issues:
file names in lowercase,
the usual beggining slash,
weight always over 1 (not sure this is a issue),
encode in UTF-8(had problems with my latin characters)

On the Import Profile:
Original Magento attribute names in first row:No

Mapping them with “column1,column2...”

Save in media/import

with the subfolders:
800 for 800x800 pix
135 for 135x135
75 for 75x75

Issues:
Probably the server will give a memory problem with so many resizes during import.
I couldn’t find a suitable program that resized pictures with some canvas in white(to avoid distortion) to fit my needs so I created one in C#.

Store attribution
Created another profile with
store, SKU and categories_id
to update the products with the right store

Issue: Obviously they were not showing in the right sotres and the sometimes the 3 pictures (thumb, smal..) were showing in “More Views”

I hope this post helps someone as it helped me reading all the others available about this matter.
If you want some CSV example or my own C# resizer just mail me at tiago[dot]duarte[dot]matos[at]gmail

As Shannon would say:
“Happy eCommerce”

Magento Community
Magento Community

siridyal

Total Posts:  2

I hate to be the one to have to revisit this subject.  But I downloaded the most recent version of magento-1.0.19870.1 , and am having problems with importing images.  The Media file structure is not the same as in this original post, and I haven’t been able to find the PHP file that directs the DataFlow where to grab the photo from. 

I can import and export products to CSV no problem, it seems only the the /xyz.JPG is not the correct path anymore when used to import. 

I’m developing locally on WAMP.

The image path that gets exported is “/M/M/MML-199.JPG” from a manually input product and product image.

My current file structure is: wamp/www/magento/...

And the media file structure to the import is: magento/media/import

And to the “M” file where the image is stored is:  magento/media/catalog/product/m/m/.

Please let me know if you need more information than I’ve given or any ideas that any of you may have.

Many thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

jonathb

Total Posts:  10

My two dumbs errors if it can help someone :

I’ve tryed to import csv files, I had the error : Skip import row, required field “sku” not defined magento

My mistake I’ve used , as a separator in my csv instead of ;

For the images I’ve put them in /var/import instead of /media/import and the path in the csv still : /picturename.jpg

Here are my F word mistakes ! If someone winned sometimes with this post, I’ll be very happy !

I use the 1.1.6 version !

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 5