Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Mini Search Doesn’t work, but Advanced Search works

jbazer

Total Posts:  4

Hi there. Here is my problem: on the mini search that sits on all the pages, clicking search doesn’t do anything. When I use the autocomplete to submit a search I get ‘a there has been an error processing your request’:

Warning: include(/home/typewrds/test.typewrds.com/app/design/frontend/default/default/template/page/2columns.phtml) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/typewrds/test.typewrds.com/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Block/Template.php on line 144
Trace:
#0 /home/typewrds/test.typewrds.com/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Block/Template.php(144): mageCoreErrorHandler(2, ‘include(/home/t...’, ‘/home/typewrds/...’, 144, Array)
#1 /home/typewrds/test.typewrds.com/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Block/Template.php(144): Mage_Core_Block_Template::fetchView()
#2 /home/typewrds/test.typewrds.com/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Block/Template.php(176): Mage_Core_Block_Template->fetchView(’frontend/defaul...’)
#3 /home/typewrds/test.typewrds.com/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Block/Template.php(193): Mage_Core_Block_Template->renderView()
#4 /home/typewrds/test.typewrds.com/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Block/Abstract.php(643): Mage_Core_Block_Template->_toHtml()
#5 /home/typewrds/test.typewrds.com/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Layout.php(526): Mage_Core_Block_Abstract->toHtml()
#6 /home/typewrds/test.typewrds.com/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Controller/Varien/Action.php(347): Mage_Core_Model_Layout->getOutput()
#7 /home/typewrds/test.typewrds.com/app/code/core/Mage/CatalogSearch/controllers/ResultController.php(79): Mage_Core_Controller_Varien_Action->renderLayout()
#8 /home/typewrds/test.typewrds.com/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Controller/Varien/Action.php(376): Mage_CatalogSearch_ResultController->indexAction()
#9 /home/typewrds/test.typewrds.com/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Controller/Varien/Router/Standard.php(248): Mage_Core_Controller_Varien_Action->dispatch(’index’)
#10 /home/typewrds/test.typewrds.com/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Controller/Varien/Front.php(158): Mage_Core_Controller_Varien_Router_Standard->match(Object(Mage_Core_Controller_Request_Http))
#11 /home/typewrds/test.typewrds.com/app/Mage.php(459): Mage_Core_Controller_Varien_Front->dispatch()
#12 /home/typewrds/test.typewrds.com/index.php(52): Mage::run()
#13 {main}

I’m not sure what’s going on. When I go through the advanced search, the advanced search works fine. Can anyone help? Is there anything else you need from me?

thank you!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

jbazer

Hi tzyganu,

I noticed that but wasn’t sure if that was the problem. I changed it -left and the autocomplete works! Thanks!

Now, one other problem (this was happening before i changed the XML file). For some reason the Search button on the mini form doesn’t work. When you click it or hit enter, it doesn’t do anything. I tried replacing the form.mini.phtml with the default text that comes stock with magento and that doesn’t fix it either.

There is one other button on the page that is working, so it’s not all the buttons.

You can get to the site at test.typewrds.com if you need any more info.

Thanks!
Jeff

Magento Community
Magento Community

jbazer

Hi Marius,

Thanks!

Here is my code for the button so far:

<button type="submit" class="button" onclick="[removed]$('search_mini_form').submit()"><span><?php echo $this->__('search'?></span></button>

That works now when I click the button. Is there anyway to hook up the enter button to this also? (so if they type in a search term and then hit enter, it will do the same thing as clicking the button)

I haven’t worked with javascript that much so my knowledge is very limited.

Thanks for all your help!
Jeff

Magento Community
Magento Community

jbazer

Hi Marius,

I can get the form to submit on enter in Firefox, but on Safari and Internet Explorer, it won’t submit on enter. Will it submit on either of those browsers for you? Is there any code I could put in there to get it to submit on enter on Safari and Internet Explorer?

Thanks!
Jeff

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community