Magento Forum

Page 2 of 2
Do I have to chmod 777 everyfile/folder to use magento connect? 

Stephen Chu

Total Posts:  16
Bedford, MA

No one’s worried about the security nature of this product? Could the developers please explain the approach Magento is taking on securing the installation?

I just find all the report and log files created by Magento are set to 0777. I really can not think of a good reason to allow world write and EXECUTE on data files, even with the .htaccess protection.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

JLHC
Mentor

Total Posts:  1287
Tampa, FL

Yes I do not agree on the 777 file permissions as it may compromise the security of the store. This is one of the few reasons for us to go for suPHP/suEXEC which only uses 644 for files and 755 for directories.

Magento Community
Magento Community

zvezda

Total Posts:  14

I changed all folders to 777 and still got a msg
Error: Please check for sufficient write file permissions

Does any have any idea where can I solve it to use Magento connect. Or what is the oter way to install extensions and upgrades.

cheers
z.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sindre|ProperHost
Mentor

Total Posts:  1155

zvezda: Did you set the permissions on the Magento root directory as well? For example, if Magento is installed in a directory called ‘public_html’, this directory needs to be writable by the web server as well. Whether that means 777 or 755 permissions depends on your particular server configuration.  Generally, if you don’t have suEXEC/suPHP enabled, you need 777 permissions.

Magento Community
Magento Community

hyperjet

Total Posts:  3

I am a little worried about the 777 myself. I am having trouble explaining this to my host support and they won’t allow changing all to 777 via ssh.

I just want to install a few plugins and play around with some themes and having a lot of trouble just trying to do this due to the 777 issue.

The only option looks like I have to change all folders to 777 manually via FTP or in cpanel then execute keys to install plugins etc. Once complete then go back and change all folers to 755.

Is this for real? I am willing to do it but I think there must be a better way and I’m just too dumb to figure it out.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sindre|ProperHost
Mentor

Total Posts:  1155

If you have SSH access you can install extensions using the PEAR command line utility.

Navigate to your Magento root directory, then run the following command:

./pear install extension_key

Replace ‘extension_key’ with the key you get from Magento Connect. When you run it from SSH you won’t have to worry about the permissions.

PS: if your host won’t change all your folders to 777, they probably would not be happy with you doing it via FTP either. 777 permissions are dangerous in shared hosting environments, and many hosts does not allow them.

Magento Community
Magento Community

hyperjet

Total Posts:  3

Thank You. That seems like a much better option.

smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

winlux

Total Posts:  5
Jenaz (Switzerland)

Stephen Chu - 14 November 2008 09:10 PM

Now I find all new files and folders created in Magento like cache and uploaded files are set to 777. Browsed the source and find dozens upon dozens of chmode and mkdir with mode hard coded to 777.

That’s what I found too. It works quite well when the www-data-group owns the stuff and has rwx (is that 775?) but the directories magento connect produces seem to be 777. I definitely dislike that!

Magento Community
Magento Community

i960
Guru

Total Posts:  633
Bakersfield, CA

I personally use 640 for all files and 750 for all directories, with the exception being pear, which gets 550.  I haven’t tested it, but I’m sure I could get away with 600 for files and 700 for directories if I wanted to.  I also noticed the cache directories being set to 777, which just seems unnecessary.  The files themselves are being set to 600.  I manually set the cache directories to 750 just to test and everything works fine.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Stuarts

Total Posts:  66

I created a Step By Step Guide to using Magento Connect here -

http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/36107/

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community