Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
Updating the Copyright in Footer

whoscart

Total Posts:  120

How do I update the copyright in the footer?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Sprout Collective

Total Posts:  64
Portland, OR / Orange County, CA

I’m not sure if this is hooked up properly, since I just stumbled into it, but Magento Admin > System > Configuration > Design > Footer might be one place.

The only place I’ve tested successfully is within the theme (default, in this case): App/design/frontend/default/default/template/page/html/footer.phtml.  If you have the cache turned on in the admin, you’ll want to refresh that to see any changes to the theme.

-Cliff

Magento Community
Magento Community

whoscart

I tried the admin route and it didn’t work. I also tried the app file. This is the thread. I’m new at this but I would appreciate help here. What and how do I make the changes? I tried something but nothing worked. I even enabled and cleared my cache with no luck. Thanks.

?>
<div class="informational">
<?php echo $this->getChildHtml() ?>
</div>
<p class="legality">
<?php /*
<?php echo $this->__('Help Us to Keep Magento Healthy') ?> - <a href="http://www.magentocommerce.com/bug-tracking" id="bug_tracking_link"><strong><?php echo $this->__('Report All Bugs') ?></strong></a> <?php echo $this->__('(ver. %s)', Mage::getVersion()) ?><br />
<script type="text/javascript\">
$(’bug_tracking_link’).target = “varien_external”;
</script>
*/ ?>

<?php echo $this->__('helloMagento is a registered trademark of Irubin Consulting Inc. Copyright © %s DBA Varien', date('Y')) ?></p>

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sprout Collective

It’s that last bit, where you’ve added the “hello” text.  That should work, are you positive you refreshed, or disabled, the cache via the store administration?

-Cliff

Magento Community
Magento Community

whoscart

Oh ok I just realized I didn’t disable it. Just for the record, when I launch my site, what do I do with the cache management? Do I keep it disabled, enable it, or select “No Change”?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sprout Collective

It’s easy to miss, I’ve done the same. smile

I’d recommend enabling the cache for production stores.  You’ll get much better performance.  Just don’t forget to refresh it when you make changes.

-Cliff

Magento Community
Magento Community

whoscart

Thanks for all the help. That saved a lot of time on my end.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Bowen

Total Posts:  37

For some reason footer.phtml and the Admin>Config route are not working for me.  I can’t get this footer copyright to change. 

Last time i messed around with the admin cache settings i came up with some nasty php errors.  Right now it is enabled (i think, the interface here is questionable)...and after refreshing my browser 20 times and purging the cache, it’s still there!

is there possibly an xml file somewhere?

Magento Community
Magento Community

AnnaM
Guru

Total Posts:  325
San Francisco

IF I understand what you are looking for, and thats a big IF, it is in app\code\core\Mage\Page\etc\config.xml
if you change it, you also need to delete /var/cache If thats not it, well have a nice day anyway. grin

Magento Community
Magento Community

Bowen

do you mean to delete the entire folder ‘cache’ within /var?  I just want to be sure....

thank you Anna

Magento Community
Magento Community

AnnaM
Guru

San Francisco

yes the entire folder /var/cache anytime you mess with the xml files or anytime at all really, if you have some odd prboelms, you can feel free to delete this folder. It rebuilds itself immediately on first access.  not var mind yoo LOL just /var/cache Don’t even bother with opening it and deleting all thats in it, just delete the folder entirely

Magento Community
Magento Community

Fontis

Total Posts:  99
Melbourne, Australia

Rather than altering the text manually in the template another way is to replace the footer.phtml template with this:

<div class="informational">

<?php echo $this->getChildHtml() ?>
</div>
<
class="legality">

<?php echo $this->getCopyright(); ?>
</p>

That’s in the file:

/app/design/frontend/eww/default/template/page/html

This way the copyright in the footer will actually use what you enter in the admin area! Note that you can’t have the year automatically kept up to date this way but I feel this is a better solution - particularly if you’re going to rolling out more than one store, as you only have to make this change once.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Bowen

Thank you both for your feedback, however I am still not getting any results.  After changing the config.xml file, deleting the /cache folder, adding new code to footer.phtml and changing Admin > System > Config > Design > Footer...knowing that “default” is the store settings I’m using for the entire store since i only have one store.  Am i in the right place for changing ‘footer’ in conjunction with the footer.phtml script?

Magento Community
Magento Community

AnnaM
Guru

San Francisco

Yes I must apologize, I led you down a rosy path there. I didn’t really read closely enough what you are trying to do. That file I pointed out has nothing to do with the footer. LOL My apologies.  AT one point during one of the betas, i had my own copyright down there in the footer area, is that what you want to do? Instead of Copyright Varien?  I am not sure we are allowed to do that, if somebody wants to chime in and clarify that, it would be good.  Otherwise I will try to rmemebr how/where I did it. I may have edited the databasse itself. But right now it staill says varien on my 1.0 as I think thats part of our TOS, but not really sure.  Sorry for the misinformation, in too much of a hurry I guess.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Bowen

That’s okay, any input is helpful as i am somewhat in the dark here. 

I am indeed referring to the Varien copyright at the bottom (frontend, see attached).  I understand it is an open source commerce and they probably don’t want it completely rebranded...as when i buy a template from joomlashack, i pay an extra $70 to have it unbranded.

My only question is what the Admin > Config > Footer area is there for?  What footer text is this changing?

Image Attachments
footer.jpg

Magento Community
Magento Community

Bowen

Well, apparently it was my cache on MY computer.  I ran Onyx which clears all system and browser caches and restarted and saw that the footer had a php error.  I changed the script back to the normal and replaced Varien’s copyright with mine and now its shows.

I guess the question now is if I’m allowed to change the footer copyright.  I don’t mind promoting magento but i’d rather put a graphic callout rather than the copyright.

can someone from Varien please let me know what is ethical…

@ Anna and Chris, thanks again for your time and input.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2