Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

No idea how to do any simple design changes to my magento store at all? 

expbiz

Total Posts:  7

Hello, I have read the ‘designers guide to magento’ which helped very little. I am trying to get my head around what is going on with Magentos design and layout.

Now I am trying to do a simple task, such as move the search bar which is located at the top by default to just below the header, where the ‘my cart, wishlist, etc’ are. Or where the Navigation bar is as default. I have managed to move the navigation down to the left column from playing around with the the XML files. The search bar however does not want to move.

Also I would like to get rid of the Customer service box on the left, which seems to be the cart?! Or at least just get it displaying as a Cart not a silly customer service box?

If someone could point me in the right direction for these simple tasks I’m sure I would learn a lot. Or could someone point me to a GOOD guide to this for newbys.... I would be verrrrry appreciative..

My site is: http://buykinis.com

Thanks,
Ed

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

furnitureforyoultd
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  833

The customer service box is located in app\design\frontend\default\default\layout\catalog.xml

this is what you need to find (it’s near the top)

<reference name="left">
            <
block type="core/template" name="left.permanent.callout" template="callouts/left_col.phtml">
                <
action method="setImgSrc"><src>images/media/col_left_callout.jpg</src></action>
                <
action method="setImgAlt" translate="alt" module="catalog"><alt>Our customer service is available 24/7. Call us at (555555-0123.</alt></action>
                <
action method="setLinkUrl"><url>checkout/cart</url></action>
            </
block>
        </
reference>

I think you can just comment it out to get rid of it

Magento Community
Magento Community

expbiz

Cheers! that worked for the customer service box. smile

Anyone know how to move the search bar?

Magento Community
Magento Community

expbiz

Okay now the callout box will not go away!? I’ve commented that out and it still appearing? What’s going on????

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community