Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

customer comments

sstark

Total Posts:  25

how do I add a customer comments field during the checkout process?

I am fairly disappointed with the attributes system here, I was expecting attributes that the CUSTOMER would select, not the administrator. If this were the case, I could add the comment text area to my product…

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

sstark

anyone? I need the customer to be able to leave a comment somehow when ordering.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Tweakmag
Guru

Total Posts:  307
London, UK

the problem with adding comments to the product would be that you could have comments for each product in the order (imagine 100 products). I will look into how you can add a comment box to the order - I don’t think it will be too difficult. smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

sstark

in this case I am happy with a comment on the product because it is being used to tell the owner how often to ship said product.

thank you for looking into this, it is a hassle to force them to email.

Magento Community
Magento Community

sstark

any luck?

Magento Community
Magento Community

sstark

why does such an advanced shopping cart software suck this badly when it comes to minor changes or any sort of information about the product that the customer is to enter.

What about a different colour? You expect us to make a new product for every combination of shirt size and colour.

All I need is a comment box, and no one can help. This shows that magento should NOT be in RC 1, it should still be in Alpha or Beta until these issues have been resolved.

I really do enjoy this application, and I know I am not alone in this. I would really love to see this resolved.

Magento Community
Magento Community

sstark

and still no solution for one of the simplest requests… :(

Magento Community
Magento Community

sstark

I made negative comments paired with positive ones, and there are many many developers who feel the same. Most are installing it, then removing it and moving on to shopify, mostly because of the speed issues (which can be fixed)… but to have no customer end customization or input is really not helping anyone. This is a great application and I do not like to see it’s image being hurt so much by these simple issues.

SIMPLE FIXES:

combine .js and .css files into one for both the core and the skin.
add customer end attributes.

eHabitats:
Just an FYI you won’t get anyone to help you if you are making negative comments about the application.  A lot of people have viewed your entry but won’t reply because of your attitude.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Chris Farley

Total Posts:  43

I’m also interested in this exact feature.

It seems pretty simple. Add a text field (very much like the Gift Message field) to the checkout process—possibly on step #6 “Order Review”. Or insert a new step before #6.

The comment could be added to the normal “Order Comments”, preferably prepended with some text (such as “Customer Comment:") to identify it as a customer comment.

It seems like a pretty simple modification that would be useful to the entire community. Any way to sponsor development on Magento features?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Aldo

Total Posts:  47

Yes, I need the same feature.
Any plans?

Magento Community
Magento Community

bobbrodie

Total Posts:  132
Philadelphia, PA

Many people are looking for this anything yet?

Magento Community
Magento Community

jklina

Total Posts:  82
Philadelphia PA

Hi All:

I had this problem and all I did was do a search for all the strings on the Gift Message box that is already in checkout and change the strings to to say basically “Gift Message/Comments”.

Its kind of hacking it, but it seems to do the job just fine. The best part is all the files you need to change are theme files and therefore you’re not messing with the core.

I hope this helps.

Josh

Magento Community
Magento Community

lisali
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  889
London, UK

Hi - I can not see this box at all. Is it only visible if you are using the one-page-checkout? I have that disabled and am only using Google Checkout.

Many thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Chris Farley

Total Posts:  43

jklina - that is not a bad hack in my case. I also need to support gift messages, but if worst comes to worse I can do that.

Magento Community
Magento Community

generalbongo

Total Posts:  75

sstark - 05 April 2008 08:48 AM

What about a different colour? You expect us to make a new product for every combination of shirt size and colour.

I would like to know if this is really the case?

I sell t-shirts in different colors and sizes.
If it would simply be possible to add a simple comment field where people can put their color/size , that would be a great help!

Magento Community
Magento Community

castus

Total Posts:  64

sstark - 05 April 2008 08:48 AM

You can use custom options for this kind of thing. Much more professional than filling out in a box.
It means setting custom options for every product, but it’s a better solution.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community