Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Which Free Editor to use? 

wsj3
Guru

Total Posts:  521
Portland, OR

I had to re-install Dreamweaver and remembered that I have to perform the .phtml changes to the configuration if I want to be able to edit.

What is the best open-source or free editor for working with Magento files? Ideally with built-in ftp.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

bobbrodie

Total Posts:  132
Philadelphia, PA

We use Aptana, and it works out great. One of the best things about it is that it will index the classes and functions in your project and give you code completion! You’ll only need to pay for the Professional version if you need SFTP and some other features like unit testing.

Good luck!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Discovery
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  767

Agreed on Aptana, however, I use ‘vi’ as it is the best editor ever. I also ssh in and use screen. I cannot be done with ftp upload malarky.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community