Magento Forum

Page 2 of 2
Add product tags in the backend

wackybz

Total Posts:  1

jyoti ramnath - 16 June 2010 08:05 PM

I was able to add product tags as an administrator as well as assign it to products.

Thanks a lot! very helpful

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Alvaro Ramos

Total Posts:  2

Dears,
Not sure if its something from my configuration, but doing as jyoti ramnath said, works correctly and shows all the products in the same tag, but once the (not logged) user clicks on any of the products of the tag list, it takes the user to the log on screen, instead of show the product.

Any idea?

Magento Community
Magento Community

nuttystang

Total Posts:  8
California

Awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Magento Community
Magento Community

worldclique

Total Posts:  24

jyoti ramnath - 16 June 2010 08:05 PM

I was able to add product tags as an administrator as well as assign it to products. This is what I did:

1. Create tags through Catalog->All Tags-> Add New Tag button.
2. After creating the tags, click on each tag. You’ll see a detailed set of options to “Edit Tag”.
3. Go to the “Products tagged as administrator” tab, click on ‘Reset Filter” . You see all your products getting listed.
4. Select the products to which you want to assign the tag & click on “Save Tag”.
5. Done grin

Hi there,

Thanks for that suggestion. I did try it out but found it very, very time consuming and cumbersome… especially when you have a ton of tags and products to enter as I do. Of course the method I am about to mention is outside of purchasing any extensions, etc… just using existing Magneto functionality.

Magneto gives the option for customers to add tags to products, so we will take advantage of this. The main reason this is much easier and faster is because you can add and approve in bulk!… instead of one by one…

Just create your products as normal. When you are ready to add tags to your products just create yourself a customer account for your store and go to each product and add them as a customer would. I wrote out all of my tags in Open Office Writer (or Microsoft Word, word pad, etc.). Now since I am using phrases and not just words my tags will be entered as such -

‘Stylus C64’ ‘Stylus C66’ ‘Stylus C84’ ‘Stylus C84N’ ‘Stylus C84WN’ ‘Stylus C86’ ‘Stylus CX3600’ ‘Stylus CX3650’ ‘Stylus CX4600’ ‘Stylus CX6400’ ‘Stylus CX6600’

Take note that you need the single quote (’) to bracket your phrases… or just spaces between each word if your tags are single words. Very easy to write out and then copy/paste into the Add Your Tags section of each product.

Once you copy/paste your tags in the front-end you will be prompted with a message that they must be approved from the admin/moderator. Now log into the back-end and go to the tags section (Catalog > Tags > Pending Tags). There you will see the list of tags you just submitted from the front-end of the site. Now just click “Select All”, then from the Actions drop-down menu choose “Change Status”, and then from the status drop-down choose “Approved” and then “Submit”.

That is it!

Once you have approved a tag it never has to be approved again and you are now free to add those now approved tags to each product you want from the front-end of the site.

I hope this helps!

smile

Oh, and for any Magento team member reading this… please, please please make this web standard easier to add. Allow us the ability to tag products from inside each product when creating them. This would literally save some of us hours upon hours of work.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Guspastallas

Total Posts:  2

1. Create tags through Catalog->All Tags-> Add New Tag button.
2. After creating the tags, click on each tag. You’ll see a detailed set of options to “Edit Tag”.
3. Go to the “Products tagged as administrator” tab, click on ‘Reset Filter” . You see all your products getting listed.
4. Select the products to which you want to assign the tag & click on “Save Tag”.
5. Done grin

Well, i have done as mentioned above and i seems to work, but when i search frontend by the tag names they dont appear… Any one know what i have done wrong?

Regards,

Rasmus

Magento Community
Magento Community

maria_atwix

Total Posts:  129

Hi. Our team would like to help with this problem, we have described this topic in the following article http://www.atwix.com/magento/new-tab-product-edit-page/
Nice to share our achievements with others
Hope this information helps

Magento Community
Magento Community

davenurave

Total Posts:  11

thanks! it does help (me, at least)

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community