Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Encrypted Extensions by MageExt.com

eiocreative

Total Posts:  21

I was wondering what people make of companies like MageExt.com who sell their extensions encrypted by IonCube. For those that don’t know it means the code can’t be read or modified. It also requires an apache module to be installed into your hosting enviroment to decode them.

I recently purchased the 9 USD Offline Maintenance extension. If you look on their site it says in small text in the footer Mage::Ext software is encoded partily with ionCube technology.

I find it amazing I should be expected to use and install code into an e-commerce enviroment that I can’t see.

James
Eio Creative

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Keizer

Total Posts:  25
Groningen, NL

Well when I started to buy extensions they were all encrypted, when I started to sell them I sell them enctrypted.

It cannot be read or modified; that’s correct. It’s a commercial module so I think you might expect any encryption when paying for a module. I think most of the modules are encypted when paid for it.

The required apache module is partly correct. Some hosting providers has built-in the loaders in Apache, but it’s also possible to run them runtime, so everybody can run them without any problems:

http://www.ioncube.com/loader_installation.php

So I understand the convenience but I think it’s the right of this companies to sell modules enctrypted. Commercial extensions are generally not to be changed.

I think it’s your own fault; so please just upload the runtime IonCube loaders and use the extension grin

Magento Community
Magento Community

eiocreative

Would you use Magento if all the core were encrypted?

Magento Community
Magento Community

eiocreative

Nice work by the way

Magento Community
Magento Community

razor

Total Posts:  13

I agree it is annoying as hell. I think if you buy an extension, you should be able to MODIFY it however you’d like. Of course the main reason they encrypt them is so you can’t reproduce it and/or sell it.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community