Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

HELP….. Magento is killing me……

YoavKutner
Guru

Total Posts:  491

@webfxmasta - we are currently working on improving performance and are testing on large catalogs as well. If you would like to PM me your store info we can take a look at your specific installation.

Thanks

yoav

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

sino

Total Posts:  34

Thats good to know that it is being worked on. I am on a dedicated server, and I experience the slowness, 20 seconds, 10 if lucky.

Magento Community
Magento Community

pbreit

Total Posts:  3

Bump.

I think this is a very important topic. As impressive as the Magento system is, it is simply not usable “out-of-the-box”. The out-of-the-box experience needs to have much, much better performance.

I think it is a reasonable approach to get the 1.0 version out before making all the performance optimizations but the optimizations are going to have to come very soon or users will try it once and bolt.

Magento Community
Magento Community

velocis

Total Posts:  8

I am in the same boat. I am hoping to launch my store in the next month or two and am just crossing my fingers that the Magento team can give us something useful here.

I know there are probably a lot of improvements I can make to the MySql/Apache setup that will help, but where do I start?

I am using a VPS at Slicehost with 256mb ram, and will have a relatively small catalog starting out. Right now I only have 3 products and a few categories and the first time page load is horrendous.

Monkey Wrench Automotive

Magento Community
Magento Community

bydesign

Total Posts:  1

Well I’m glad to see I’m not the only one scared by performance issues. What I really need to be able to use magento for our store (1000+ products) is some real case studies of large companies with large inventories using the production release of magento successfully. I was very excited to see Alpedia’s interview, but was disappointed to see that they had to make many changes to the core code of magento for performance reasons.

My company would be open to paying varien for installation and performance optimizations if we could see some evidence that it would pay off in the end. Please, varien, please provide more case studies, performance reports, and proof that a large, scalable store can be deployed with magento!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Loic_LC

Total Posts:  194
Paris, France

I’m currently setting up my store using magento, but I’m keeping an eye on posts like this, hoping a solution will be found by the time I’m ready.
performance is very important.

Magento Community
Magento Community

yogabasics

Total Posts:  19

To solve the problem we have updated the proxy.php file.

Is this fix still relevant with the latest release??  I am running Magento ver. 1.0.19870 and would like to know if updating the proxy.php file is still considered a fix.

Magento Community
Magento Community

srinigenie
Guru

Total Posts:  539

@yogabasics --- the fix is available in the the release you are running ..so you needn’t replace the proxy.php smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

CalinT

Total Posts:  15

Hi there,

I had the same problem with the load time of my homepage. It only appeared after importing like 1,000 products, when first load’s time get ridiculous (to like 40seconds). After first page loading everything worked fine, though. Anyway the proxy.php file helped a lot. Check it ou http://epinvest.t-e-a.ro

Thank you Yoav

Magento Community
Magento Community

CalinT

Total Posts:  15

Actually no. It did no good. Sorry! It was just a MySQL Query Cache that seemed to improove things, but for any INITIAL load of the homepage the problem persists.

I found out that the problem resides in the New Products block being loaded on the homepage. It’s all about the the MySQL querry being too intricate. Replicating the same query but using one temporary table to filter results (current date being between new_from_date and new_to_date) before applying the INNER and LEFT joins for selecting images, product status, product visibility and special prices seams to fix the problem (query takes 2seconds as oposed to like 50+ seconds). What I don’t know is how to do that using the new products block model without writing a custom MySQL query to fetch the results. Any ideas?

Magento Community
Magento Community

robson_cyco

Total Posts:  1

I think the demo store of Magento should be a performance example. When I navigate in the store demo, I get discouraged.
If the creators of Magento don’t manage to do the example of the store to be fast then we are that won’t get.

Magento Community
Magento Community

luxer

Total Posts:  4
Indonesia

Hi all, i have same problem with sped up my distro magento, my site running slow,

Any one have any idea how we can get the sped up?

i have download file proxy.php where nafnaf1000 is used for his web, Can i used this file too for get sped up my site?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Nexus Rex

Total Posts:  139
Utah, USA

Varien,

Your lack of comprehensive responses on this topic is worrisome. Do you know exactly why Magento is so dang slow on most servers, and decent on others?

I have setup two installations on different dedicated servers (one with Rackspace, the other with Softlayer) and both were very slow from the get go (6-9 second page loads).

-------------------------------------------------
Page loads measured at:
http://internetsupervision.com/scripts/urlcheck/check.aspx

I installed APC on both servers, and Magento on my Rackspace server appears to have no change, yet Magento on my Softlayer server has dramatically improved with response times under 2 seconds for almost every request.

Dev site on Rackspace server:
http://shop.specialopspaintball.com/

Dev site on Softlayer server:
http://dev.flyaoamedia.com/

Please Varien, just be straight with us? Tell us the cause of the problems you know about and let us help to get this fixed. The Magento shopping cart is unbelievably powerful, and it’s very clear that Varien has some serious talent working on this project.

I feel like I can’t give up on Magento!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Nexus Rex

Total Posts:  139
Utah, USA

Yoav,

Could you take a look at these two servers, and help me get my Rackspace server up to par with my Softlayer server:

Rackspace:
http://shop.specialopspaintball.com/phpinfo.php

Softlayer:
http://dev.flyaoamedia.com/phpinfo.php

Thank you,

Travis Cable

Magento Community
Magento Community

edesigninc

Total Posts:  17
Fresno, CA

Can you provide the exact file path and line numbers where this needs to be edited?  A replace this: {code} with this: {code} would also be helpful.  Thanks.

CalinT - 04 June 2008 02:53 PM

Actually no. It did no good. Sorry! It was just a MySQL Query Cache that seemed to improove things, but for any INITIAL load of the homepage the problem persists.

I found out that the problem resides in the New Products block being loaded on the homepage. It’s all about the the MySQL querry being too intricate. Replicating the same query but using one temporary table to filter results (current date being between new_from_date and new_to_date) before applying the INNER and LEFT joins for selecting images, product status, product visibility and special prices seams to fix the problem (query takes 2seconds as oposed to like 50+ seconds). What I don’t know is how to do that using the new products block model without writing a custom MySQL query to fetch the results. Any ideas?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community