Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

HELP….. Magento is killing me……

MaWe22

Total Posts:  19
Giessen - Germany

nafnaf1000 - 08 April 2008 11:54 AM

@YoavKutner

Now that we got the front end working so fast. anything we can to with the back end??? smile

Has anyone tried to install phpMyAdmin? In my case (std. Install) it has some perfomance suggestions (see PDF the red entries maybe important)

File Attachments
phpMyAdmin.pdf  (File Size: 58KB - Downloads: 368)

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Jandy

Total Posts:  2

nafnaf1000 - 03 April 2008 01:00 PM

Wahoooooo.,......

OK, all, I have an up date..

Go to my site now and see what speed is..... smilehttp://www.hbaetc.com/magento

Super fast..... I am very excited to see this new speed..... I have attached the new proxy.php file that was taking up a lot of the speed. Replace this one with your old on and see what speed is all about

Thank you Yoav and Magento for this new file and all that you have done for putting the power back in to the hand of the owner..smile

There is a definite improvement there, but I am receiving an error when viewing one of your pages.  The error is:

Fatal error: Class 'Mage_Catalog_Block_Product_Featured' not found in /home/hbaetcco/domains/hbaetc.com/public_html/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Layout.php on line 442

Click on Oral Care then Mouth Wash in the dropdown (or visit http://www.hbaetc.com/magento/oral-care/mouth-wash)

Do you think that the updated file has caused this error?

Magento Community
Magento Community

nafnaf1000

Total Posts:  209

@Jandy:

NO......

That is an error that i am getting do to something wrong with a data import that i did and i have not had the time yet to work out what it is… smile

Nothing to do with the update.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Jandy

Total Posts:  2

Hi nafnaf1000

Thank you for clarifying that for me.
Hope you manage to get it sorted.

Magento Community
Magento Community

nafnaf1000

Total Posts:  209

@Jandy:

No not yet. for the past 2- 3 weeks i have been playing with Magento more then i have been doing my job, smile so i have to do some work today, i juss i will play Magento when i get home

Magento Community
Magento Community

dshank

Total Posts:  36

I updated my proxy.php file, i’ve tried cache on, cache off, and regardless, it’s still so slow, it’s unusable. I’m sure there are many others having this problem - is the problem being analyzed more closely by anyone on the team? I’m under the gun to finalize a commerce solution, and really really wanted to use magento, but with this issue, it’s looking like I won’t be able to.

D

Magento Community
Magento Community

stef25

Total Posts:  1

same problem here ... extremely slow on my quad core 2GB ram localhost. how can there be an excuse for that?

Magento Community
Magento Community

tom.synnott

Total Posts:  37

There is something wrong with how Magento is built, wether it’s the SQL Queries or the PHP I have never had any other issues with performance and speed like I go with this…

Magento Community
Magento Community

dshank

Total Posts:  36

Again, i’m surprised that no Magento team members are involved here. This is significant, and unless it’s fixed, will affect Magento’s adoption rate.

Has anyone figured out the differences between those who have Magento working fast, and those who don’t?

Magento Community
Magento Community

patatoemasher

Total Posts:  1

I’m not so surprised as this is open source! Still though, I too am under pressure for an ecommerce platform and need one ASAP. Was really excited about Magento until I opened the homepage. Spent most of today reading a multitude of forums and blogs about the slow performance, but still no joy. This really only looks like a package for big companies with their own dedicated hosting unfortunatly.

Magento Community
Magento Community

PitchOu

Total Posts:  39
Villeneuve d'Ascq, France

Hi Varien !

I have a performance enhancement that may reduce strongly the mysql query time to build the category tree : the nested set model. This would dramatically reduce the page load time for the first time user with lots of categories and products (problems described before in this post), when the cache does not contain the page yet.

The counterpart is that it would require to rethink the table structures, but from my experience it’s worth doing it. It requires also more queries to insert data but this is not very problematic here.

Many articles describe this technique, for example look for “The Nested Set Model” here at mysql : http://dev.mysql.com/tech-resources/articles/hierarchical-data.html

Bye

Magento Community
Magento Community

YoavKutner
Guru

Total Posts:  491

@PitchOu - Thank you for your proposal. We have already played around with the “Nested Set Model” but found that the “Materialized Path” was a better fit for us.

I am still interested if you have any numbers to compare the two approaches.

Thanks

yoav

Magento Community
Magento Community

webfxmasta

Total Posts:  15

Even with version 1.0, I still see 20s plus page-load times with large catalogs (2000+ categories, 40000+ products) for the catalog/category pages.  Will we see improvement in this area soon or do the people with large catalogs just have to deal with the long page loads?

Magento Community
Magento Community

srinigenie
Guru

Total Posts:  539

@webfxmasta - By catalog/category pages, are you referring to the search results?? In case you are, search in Magento is a “LIKE based” search and is bound to be slow for huge catalogs. You need to customize to store your search relevant field values separately and index them to get better search time ....

But I see a poor performance on the home page itself and wish it is improved ...

Magento Community
Magento Community

webfxmasta

Total Posts:  15

No not the search results...just the basic Catalog/Category navigation pages. (Ex. http://www.my-magento-store.com/catalog/category/view/id/3/) I’m not worried about the search speed just yet.  I want to try to get the basic Catalog browsing as fast as possible first.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community