Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 2 of 5
HELP….. Magento is killing me……

YoavKutner
Guru

Total Posts:  491

The problem nafnaf1000 was describing had to do with the caching of the JavaScript.

To solve the problem we have updated the proxy.php file.

If anyone wishes they can download the attached file proxy.php and replace the existing one under yourmagentofolder/js/ folder

Thank you nafnaf1000 for pointing this issue out.

yoav

File Attachments
proxy.php  (File Size: 4KB - Downloads: 985)

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Sprout Collective

Total Posts:  64
Portland, OR / Orange County, CA

@Francesco2008

I’m honestly not a server guy, so I can’t say for certain how much of it is Litespeed vs. Apache (though I do prefer the former, and am just using the free version at this point).  I’ve just been doing a lot of experimenting and have probably set up the server from scratch three times between the last two Magento versions. smile

I don’t know of any other Magento optimization articles beyond Yoav’s blog post, which is a great resource.  My primary goal in setting this up on a VPS was to mostly reassure myself, not to mention some clients, that Magento wouldn’t pose a performance issue off the bat.

I’m really interested in seeing how performance is improved over the coming versions, though at this point I’m not worried at all about going live tomorrow with a production store, though I haven’t tested a massive catalog yet.

@YoavKutner

I can definitely see a difference, thanks for posting this!

-Cliff

Magento Community
Magento Community

wflorian

Total Posts:  22
Germany

YoavKutner - 03 April 2008 01:03 PM

The problem nafnaf1000 was describing had to do with the caching of the JavaScript.

If anyone wishes they can download the attached file proxy.php and replace the existing one under yourmagentofolder/js/ folder

yoav

This is great! Thanks a lot!! Will there be more performance improvements in the near future?

Florian.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Daim

Total Posts:  172
Germany

@YoavKutner: You have the PN.

My Problem is not a javascript probleme. It’s Mysql with a load over 100% and a searchtime by 50 sec.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Max_Schreck

Total Posts:  8
Czech Republic, Decin

Daim - 04 April 2008 02:58 AM

My Problem is not a javascript probleme. It’s Mysql with a load over 100% and a searchtime by 50 sec.

Try to implement MySQL Query Cache if you have access to server configuration.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Daim

Germany

The cache its ON! But when you are the first user that search the term like ("red car") that you must wait over 50 sec. When the second user search a red car he become the result under 5 sec.

Magento Community
Magento Community

PHOENIX
Guru

Total Posts:  549
Stuttgart, Germany

What about the shopping cart? While catalog pages take only 1-2 sec./requ. the shopping cart needs over 20 sec. for loading. What is taking so much time?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Daim

Germany

shopping cart fast 1-2 sec
catalog pages 10 sec
catalog pages set filter over 18 sec
search over 50 sec

Magento Community
Magento Community

evdat

Total Posts:  35
Carthage, MO

How is everyone getting the page load times. Are you watching the clock, have some plugin for FireFox, or using some other kind of utility?

How are you determining where the performance problems are (Apache, MySQL, Processor Usage, Memory Usage, Disk Usage)?

Outside of just watching the clock on the pages that are obviously taking way too long, it would be great for everyone to know how to get a consistent way to measure the results.

I know there was a thread on the forum about someone claiming fast page load times, and they were using a website called Pingdom to do some page load testing. http://tools.pingdom.com/ I noticed that one of the issues with this method of testing was that it seems to hit Apache pretty hard, and I don’t know if it utilizes existing connections on the Apache processes. I was testing a new server architecture we’re looking at and noticed a considerable different with Pingdom results based on the number of Apache processes waiting. The default install on the server was 10 processes, and I noticed a patterern where things were slower on every set of 10 requests Pingdom was making to a page. The base home page for Magento has 81 requests. I started playing with the number of processes that were started with Apache, and noticed if I bumped it up passed the 10 processes I got better results on Pingdom. I bumpped it up to 100 processes to see what it would do since it’s just a test box.  It changed the pingdom results for the home page load time from 7 seconds down to between 1-2 seconds. I did this because I noticed in the Pingdom results the part of the results that it was lagging on was simple .gif image requests and some stuff like that, and static content should be a big deal to serve out a lot of requests for. http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/?url=http://140.239.64.250/magento/

That being said, I know that I’d have to do a bit more research to fine tune Apaches process count limits for the server based on the available resources, but I thought I’d point out the result differences from this. Visually I don’t think I noticed much of a difference when loading the site from a browser before or after modifications, but I’m not that great when it comes to judging time, so it’s nice having some kind of software to tell me the exact number. So I don’t know if this would really help or not as I know some of you are hitting issues with MySQL obviously, but I thought it was at least worth mentioning. Some tools used to measure the results could vary depending on other factors. With this example my actual PHP script load time never changed, it was the time it took to load the rest of the page that I was able to improve the results from Pingdom with.

Magento Community
Magento Community

nafnaf1000

Total Posts:  209

@mjohnsonperl

How is everyone getting the page load times. Are you watching the clock, have some plugin for FireFox, or using some other kind of utility?

FireFox plugin FIREBUG

Magento Community
Magento Community

Francesco2008

Total Posts:  67

YoavKutner - 03 April 2008 01:03 PM

yoav

I tried this new file, but it is slower in my case: original proxy.php is about 4 second faster.

I also see that Magento is faster if I use no Magento cache: in this case when I put an item into cart it takes about 8 seconds, otherwise about 14 seconds.

I’m using PHP with XCache enabled and with 128MB for scripts (if I use 64MB I get blank pages after few page views).

Thanks
Regards

Magento Community
Magento Community

lazzymonk
Guru

Total Posts:  391
England

anyone have any idea why proxy.php is 200-300kb? takes upto 10 seconds to download just proxy.php when loading a page.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sprout Collective

Total Posts:  64
Portland, OR / Orange County, CA

Proxy.php isn’t actually that large, but all of the javascript files are being passed through it (which you can see if you look at the params in your page source), being compressed and compiled into a single http request.  This increases performance.  If your server serves the file with gzip compression, it’ll go down to around 60k.

Depending on your theme, you’ll probably want to adjust the use of javascript anyway, but using proxy.php helps keep the load times, requests and bandwidth down.

-Cliff

Magento Community
Magento Community

nafnaf1000

Total Posts:  209

@YoavKutner

Now that we got the front end working so fast. anything we can to with the back end??? smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

srinigenie
Guru

Total Posts:  539

@nafnaf1000
I think the script that Yoav had given is great when page is accessed second time onwards .... testing this the first time the page loaded (I had cleared the browser cache) is around 13 sec of which the javascript alone took around 8 sec ,.....second time on, proxp.php ensures that the page is loaded in 1.3 sec!!! So the actual problem is the bulk of javascript that is loaded ....

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 2 of 5