Magento Forum

Page 1 of 5
HELP….. Magento is killing me……

nafnaf1000

Total Posts:  209

Magento. gets A+++ for all the work in an amazing system.....

BUT....
It is just tooo slow to work with. One of my websites that i want to have will contain about 20,000+ items in it… and I am concerned whether the system will be able to handle it on top of the time it takes to load the pages…

Any one have any idea how we can get the sped up????

Please, i do not want to go away from magento!

p.s.
dos it have to load all the JS (proxy.php at the same time,) maybe we can split them up to load faster, or what ever.

Thank for all your thoughts.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

tman_f

Total Posts:  85

Are you using the production verson 1.0?

Also, the lag on page load is due to the amount of inner join queries to the database. It was my understanding that Magento holds this issue in high regard. The improvement on v 0.9 was phenomenal. So, if you absolutely cant wait til the Magento team fixes the speed issue, you can always optimize the SQL yourself.

According to firebug, Magento will load a page’s ‘content’ in <1 second, so the lag waiting for the server to output the content is definately internal sql, not anything with js or css. Although you could probably shave off about 100 milliseconds by optimizing those.

Good Luck

Magento Community
Magento Community

nafnaf1000

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I am using 1.0.
The fix that they did in 9… helped a lot, but still dod not fix the proble. there is no way that I can let users wait that long to load the page… i know when i go to a site and it takes to long to load they I get out of there.. (unless I must go there)

Unfortunately I know nothing about programing.... only css, so unless they do something about it I am stuck here :(

HELP MAGENTO please

Magento Community
Magento Community

YoavKutner
Guru

Total Posts:  491

@nafnaf1000 - if you could please PM me the link to your site so that I can take a look. Also please specify which hosting and which hosting plan you are on for this website.

Thanks

yoav

Magento Community
Magento Community

srinigenie
Guru

Total Posts:  539

Yoav’s post on performance should be helpful
http://www.magentocommerce.com/blog/comments/performance-is-key-notes-on-magentos-performance/#comments

But before this, hope you have cache enabled on the admin?

But I agree with loading all the JS on the home page and firebug clocks this to be taking more time for me on the home page. As you mention, not all these scripts are required for the home page and maybe can be loaded on a page-by-page need basis.

Magento Community
Magento Community

manolodf

Total Posts:  56
Dallas, TX / Hong Kong

I posted a topic in the General Thread trying to get people’s inputs on how server intensive Magento might be, I remember I used to have some headaches with x-cart 3.5, and it came to the point that no matter what server was not good enough, I had to make a static HTML cart iwth Ajax to save the server from absolutely crawling, and this was only with about 5k visitors, imagine with more, Keep the DB as slim as possible and if the Magento Team could specify the best way to optimize mysql and apache, it would be great.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sprout Collective

Total Posts:  64
Portland, OR / Orange County, CA

It is just tooo slow to work with.

I think once your theme is optimized you’ll see a nice speed increase, but much of that will be cached after the first visit, anyway.

There’s definitely some work to be done in the app regarding speed, especially when doing things like adding to the cart, but so far I’m getting pretty good results (under 2 seconds load time on a stock installation with sample data).  It really has boiled down to optimizing your hosting setup.

We have a test store served by Litespeed on a VPS with only 256M RAM at store.sproutcollective.com.  Speed varies, but it’s pretty consistently quick considering the setup (unless one of us happens to be mucking about behind the scenes, which we do a lot of).  We’ve also been seeing great results with Crucial.

I hope this helps reassure you a bit. wink

-Cliff

Magento Community
Magento Community

nafnaf1000

I am about 60% don with my new design, it can be seen at http://hbaetc.com/magento/

You have to rember that the site will ultimately have nothing to to with the chace at al......ON or OFF… As it dos not help for the first time it loads.....

Let me say like this. search “magento” on google. you get: Results 1 - 10 of about 357,000 for magento. (0.06 seconds)

good for google.

now, if google is going to render me all then info that i need on my search on “magento” in about 0.06 seconds i am NOT going to wait 6.06 seconds for a website to load, I will ge to another sate the loads faster. And I think that all of our users will also

What do you think.

Dos anyone have an active site / test site with a lot of items in it, 8,000+?? If so please post the link as i would live to see how ling it takes to load.

Thank you for your help and input.

ps. I have not yet tested the speed of the shopping cart, this is just browsing around.. oy vay

Magento Community
Magento Community

Daim

Total Posts:  172
Germany

@nafnaf1000. We have the same problem over 80.000 products and over 1.300 categories

The cache nothnig help when your are the first user that use a unique search term.

We have a Intel Quad Core and 8 GB RAM

Magento Community
Magento Community

nafnaf1000

@Daim:

wow.

i would love to see your site and how it works.

Please PM or post you URL.
Thank you.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Francesco2008

Total Posts:  67

Sprout Collective - 02 April 2008 09:03 PM

It is just tooo slow to work with.

We have a test store served by Litespeed on a VPS with only 256M RAM at store.sproutcollective.com.  Speed varies, but it’s pretty consistently quick considering the setup (unless one of us happens to be mucking about behind the scenes, which we do a lot of).  We’ve also been seeing great results with Crucial.

I hope this helps reassure you a bit. wink

-Cliff

Dear Cliff,

your store goes very well! It’s very quick to load pages! Do you think that it could be related to litespeed server? I’m using Apache 2.02 on a dedicated Dell PowerEdge 860 with 1GB ram and 1.8 Ghz Dual Core but Magento goes very very slow ...

Is there an installation guide with suggested configurations for PHP, MySQL and Apache, please?

Many thanks,
Francesco

Magento Community
Magento Community

YoavKutner
Guru

@nafnaf1000 - I checked out your site and I am not experiencing load of >6 like you describe. I see 1.75-2.75 sec to load a page. Is there any specific operation that causes the slow load you describe?

@Daim - I will be very interested to see your store and look at your configuration. Could you please PM with temp access to your site.

Thanks

yoav

Magento Community
Magento Community

nafnaf1000

@YoavKutner :

please brows around or go to http://www.hbaetc.com/magento/personal-care this is the page i am n\on right now, and it takes for evor to load. Firebug report. 29requestes 6.25s?????????

Magento Community
Magento Community

YoavKutner
Guru

@nafnaf1000 - The thing that looks like it is taking the longest to load your page is the JavaScript. This has to do with the browser caching the JS. We have a small fix for this. I will PM you with a fix we have to test this on your site before making it public - if it is ok with you.

Thanks

yoav

Magento Community
Magento Community

nafnaf1000

Yes, please send it to me…

Magento Community
Magento Community

nafnaf1000

Wahoooooo.,......

OK, all, I have an up date..

Go to my site now and see what speed is..... smile http://www.hbaetc.com/magento

Super fast..... I am very excited to see this new speed..... I have attached the new proxy.php file that was taking up a lot of the speed. Replace this one with your old on and see what speed is all about

Thank you Yoav and Magento for this new file and all that you have done for putting the power back in to the hand of the owner..smile

File Attachments
proxy.php  (File Size: 4KB - Downloads: 935)

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 5