Poll
Did this help you?
Yes 16
No 0
I have no clue 1
This sucks 2
Total Votes: 19
You must be a logged-in member to vote
How I installed Magento on my Windows Server 2008 with IIS7 and FastCGI support and Url Rewriter

Switek

Total Posts:  2

First, sorry for bad english.

I have tried install Magento on many differnt way on Windows Server, like XAMPP and WAMP. All resulting in a system with extrem slow performance. It feels like chewing gum…

This is how I did do get Magento up and running fast(realy fast) on a Server 2008 system.

1. Install Microsoft Server 2008 (I used the standard version 64 bit editon)
2. Install IIS7 with FastCGI support
3. Download Zend server for windows (I used ZendServer-CE-php-5.2.10-4.0.5-Windows_x86.exe)
4. Install Zend server and also select to install phpmyadmin and mySQL inthat package
5. Download and install the UrlRewrite for IIS7 from Microsoft (http://www.iis.net/downloads/default.aspx?tabid=34&g;=6&i;=1691)
6. Config IIS for you domainname(I used the default webserver)
7. Copy all the Magento installationfile into that directory
8. Create a database in phpmyAdmin and insert the demo Magento data sql script
9. Open the web.config file in you webdirectory and insert this:
<rewrite>
<rules>
<rule name="Imported Rule 1” stopProcessing="true">
<match url=".*" ignoreCase="false" />
<conditions>
<add input="{URL}" pattern="^/(media|skin|js)/" ignoreCase="false" negate="true" />
<add input="{REQUEST_FILENAME}" matchType="IsFile" ignoreCase="false" negate="true" />
<add input="{REQUEST_FILENAME}" matchType="IsDirectory" ignoreCase="false" negate="true" />
</conditions>
<action type="Rewrite\" url="index.php" />
</rule>
</rules>
</rewrite>

10. Start the webinstallation of Magento and remeber to choose the optionto use “url rewrite\”.
11. Enjoy, you now have a Magento installation that runs on Server 2008 and IIS7 and that is very fast and support urlrewrite.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Jonas Lewin

Total Posts:  2

Thanks for your post.
The URL Rewrite really helped.
I did not need to install the addon on my win2k8 r2 server as it was already installed.

This is how I installed my Magento 1.4.0.1:
Make sure IIS 7.5 is up and running.

I installed PHP from here:
http://php.iis.net/
I enabled url rewriting as well.

I then created a new website, enabled directory browsing, and created a file named phpinf.php. The content of the file was:
<?php phpinfo(); ?>

I browsed to that page in my browswer, and it worked fine, so I knew PHP was working.

The next step was to download and install MySQL. I followed the installation. After the installation, I starte a mysql prompt, and typed
create database magento;
exit;

I then downloaded magento 1.4.0.1 and extracted it to the root of my website. I deleted my test script.
I also changed permissions on the directory so everyone got read/write permissions. Don’t know it I needed to do that.

I browsed to the magento site and the configuration wizard started. It told me that I was missing Mcrypt.
So I had to download the PHP 5.2.13 setup and when I started that it asked me if I want to uninstall or change the installation. I chose change and then I could add the missing component: mcrypt.
After that the setup went just fine.

As I had checked url rewriting in the magento wizard, I could not access my site/admin. That is how I found this page. I got an error using the above xml, but I managed to correct it, and thanks to the original poster, here is now a working xml for URL rewrite that I put in the root of my site (the file should be called web.config):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<configuration>
<system.webServer>
<rewrite>
<rules>
<rule name="Imported Rule 1” stopProcessing="true">
<match url=".*" ignoreCase="false"/>
<conditions>
<add input="{URL}" pattern="^/(media|skin|js)/" ignoreCase="false" negate="true" />
<add input="{REQUEST_FILENAME}" matchType="IsFile" negate="true" />
<add input="{REQUEST_FILENAME}" matchType="IsDirectory" negate="true" />
</conditions>
</rule>
</rules>
</rewrite>
</system.webServer>
</configuration>

Magento Community
Magento Community

effinjames

Total Posts:  8

This is a really useful post - I wish I had found it when I first started the install. I was using ISAPI filters that I found recommended elsewhere but the IIS URL Rewrite is working a treat now. One thing: I had to change the line:
<action type="Rewrite/" url="index.php" /> to

to get it working. I’m on Win Server 2008 R2 & IIS7.5.

Magento Community
Magento Community

vitormourao

Total Posts:  1

Worked for me.

But i have to change this line:

to

(just removed the “\” Slash)

Windows server 2008 - ISS 7
UolHost

Magento Community
Magento Community

JCAlexandres

Hi Everybody;

Great to find this thread, for a moment I’ve thought I was the only person trying to run Magento on a Windows-based server!

We are working with a eCom web site development, the version of Magento we are using is the community version 1.7.0.2, Zend CE 5.3.14, MySQL 5.5, PHP 5.3.17, and Apache 2.2.17, running on Windows Server 2008 64bit.

The installation was very easy but pages are loading extremely slow, so I am thinking seting up another development server with the route you guys selected here, I mean using IIS and the versions you have listed, I assume you are all using the community edition too.

The local developer and I are pretty new to Magento, so I’ve been tweaking MySQL trying to make the develoment site running fast, but can’t get it to run at least the speed of our eCom site, until now running on AspDotNetStoreFront.

I’ll come back and post my experience follwing the instructions here.

Thank you!

Magento Community
Magento Community

johnsnails

Total Posts:  3

The config file i used to get it working was:

http://pastebin.com/N4piXBvr

<?xml version=\"1.0\" encoding=\"UTF-8\"?>

<configuration>
      <
system.webServer>
        <
rewrite>
          <
rules>
            <
rule name=\"Magento SEO: remove index.php from URL\">
              <
match url=\"^(?!index.php)([^?#]*)(\\?([^#]*))?(#(.*))?\" />
                <
conditions>
                  <
add input=\"{URL}\" pattern=\"^/(media|skin|js)/\" ignoreCase=\"false\" negate=\"true\" />
                  <
add input=\"{REQUEST_FILENAME}\" matchType=\"IsFile\" ignoreCase=\"false\" negate=\"true\" />
                  <
add input=\"{REQUEST_FILENAME}\" matchType=\"IsDirectory\" ignoreCase=\"false\" negate=\"true\" />
                </
conditions>
              <
action type=\"Rewrite\" url=\"index.php/{R:0}\" />
            </
rule>
          </
rules>
        </
rewrite>
      </
system.webServer>
    </
configuration>

Magento Community
Magento Community

wmembreno

Total Posts:  3

Hi, i just followed the instructions, i downloaded the latest community version 1.8.0.0, my problem is when the database is installing, im receiving this error:

a:5:{i:0;s:209:"Error in file: “\magento\app\code\core\Mage\Catalog\sql\catalog_setup\install-1.6.0.0.php” - SQLSTATE[42S01]: Base table or view already exists: 1050 Table ‘catalog_product_entity’ already exists";i:1;s:910:"#0 E:\Website\magento\app\code\core\Mage\Core\Model\Resource\Setup.php(645): Mage::exception(’Mage_Core’, ‘Error in file: ...’)
#1 E:\Website\magento\app\code\core\Mage\Core\Model\Resource\Setup.php(421): Mage_Core_Model_Resource_Setup->_modifyResourceDb(’install’, ‘’, ‘1.6.0.0.18’)
#2 E:\Website\magento\app\code\core\Mage\Core\Model\Resource\Setup.php(327): Mage_Core_Model_Resource_Setup->_installResourceDb(’1.6.0.0.18’)
#3 E:\Website\magento\app\code\core\Mage\Core\Model\Resource\Setup.php(235): Mage_Core_Model_Resource_Setup->applyUpdates()
#4 E:\Website\magento\app\code\core\Mage\Core\Model\App.php(417): Mage_Core_Model_Resource_Setup::applyAllUpdates()
#5 E:\Website\magento\app\code\core\Mage\Core\Model\App.php(343): Mage_Core_Model_App->_initModules()
#6 E:\Website\magento\app\Mage.php(683): Mage_Core_Model_App->run(Array)
#7 E:\Website\magento\index.php(87): Mage::run(’’, ‘store’)
#8 {main}”;s:3:"url”;s:44:"/magento/index.php/install/wizard/installDb/”;s:11:"script_name”;s:18:"/magento/index.php”;s:4:"skin”;s:7:"default";}

When i started the installation process, i create a new database for it, i found in other threat that adding the prefix to tables will fix it, but it didn’t.

I really appreciate any help!

Thanks in advance.

Magento Community
Magento Community

seanherbert

I’m running into the same problem with the 1.8 Community Edition when trying to install on Windows Server 2008 R2 with the newest stable releases of mysql and php.

It seems that there’s a problem with the sql install scripts.  Not sure where to go from here.  Can we get a response from a magento dev in here?

Magento Community
Magento Community

paulibus

I really want to try Magento on my Windows Server 2008 r2

Is there any help for this from Magento support for this?

Many thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

hkusulja

Hi,
according to Magento Official Requirements - http://magento.com/resources/system-requirements
Only Linux and Apache is supported.
However there are some articles/blogs about simple development environment with WAMP.

I believe there is no official support for Windows or for IIS.

I also do need this for my Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 / IIS 8.5 environment (dev and prod)

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community