Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

best way to backup? 

Allysin

Total Posts:  215

Hi,

I have Magento installed on a UNIX host and there seem to be problems because of what the hosting does (change permissions as they please and so on).

What is the best way to to backup everything?

I have the cPanel they provided and there is a link in the ‘Backup Wizard’ to:

Backup
This feature allows you to download a zipped copy of your entire site or parts of it onto your computer.

The following are backed up and included in a zip file for your convenience:

Home Directory
MySQL Databases
Email forwarders configuration
Email filters configuration

Is this all I need to do? Is it the same as downloading all the files via FTP? I used to do it via FTP but it takes all night.

Thanks red face

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

NeilA

Total Posts:  1372
Blue Mountains, Oz

Assuming your store in the ‘Home Directory’, that will get you a backup of all you need.
It will still be a large file, and restoring it will be a long upload again.

Are you thinking about changing hosts? If so, many Magento-optimized hosts will usually install your existing site (copying it across) for you as part of their setup.

I got round the FTP/big backup file thing by setting up a backup repository (a chunk of disk space) on a remote server (Rysnc Palace), and using rysnc run as a cron job to backup my whole site twice everyday. Also much faster to restore. Invaluable if you do something to your store which breaks it - or if your host breaks it!

Regards

Magento Community
Magento Community

Discovery
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  767

With your development machine you can put it on the net with a proper URL. This can be done even if with a dynamic IP, see dyndns.org and the instructions with your router.
One that is up and running you can run rsync to keep both machines in sync, you can also hook up the mysql replication and run a script to change the hostname for your shop on the development machine. In that way you maintain a complete backup and can test to your hearts content.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Adjustware
Guru

Total Posts:  654

If the size of the archive is important, usually you do not need to backup /lib/ and /var/ folders as well as /app/code/core/

Magento Community
Magento Community

sagheer

Total Posts:  8

changing host?

Ask your new host if they offer cPanel hosting then they can easily transfer your account over new server.

If you are using VPS/Dedicated server with WHM you can do it yourself.

Good Luck!

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community