Magento Forum

Tax Not Added

groover

Total Posts:  14

I placed a test order in my store and tax was not added. I’m sure I am doing something wrong, but I am not sure what. I am running version 1.0.

Tax Rules:

Retail Customer, Taxable Goods, Rate 1

Tax Rates:

United States, AZ, *, 8.1, 0, 0, 0, 0 (8.1% for everywhere in AZ)

Product “Widget”:

Tax Class: Taxable Goods

Customer “Andy”:

Group: General

Customer Groups:

General: Retail Customer

So my understanding is that “Andy” is a “retail customer”, the product is “taxable goods”. According to the tax rules this should use “rate 1”. For anywhere in Arizona rate 1 is “8.1%”.

System -> Configuration -> Sales -> Tax Calculation:

Tax Class for Shipping: None
Tax Based On: Shipping Address
Catalog Prices Include Tax: No
Apply Tax After Discount: No

The order placed had a shipping address of: Tucson, AZ 85751, which is in Arizona. However tax was not applied to the order. Can anyone tell me what step I am missing? Thanks.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

JoeNmass

Total Posts:  50

I am not sure if your issue is the same with the one I had.
What I was doing at first was wrong. I was trying to find the location to set the tax rates on the Systems/Configuration/Sales

Maybe you are doing the same thing. Go to the Admin section but don’t click on ”Configuration”. Instead click on ”Sales” to the right of ”Dashboard” on the top navigation menu bar. From there click on ”Tax” then ”Manage Tax Rates

Good Luck

Magento Community
Magento Community

groover

Total Posts:  14

Thanks. Yes, that is where I set the tax rates.

Worryingly, it now works with no modifications to the store configuration. I think it may be a corner case involving gift options.

It seems there are too many fundamental problems, plus a lack of documentation to seriously use Magento at this point. What I was hoping for was a store system that - as a PHP programmer - I could easily extend in any way I wanted rather than having to wait for features. But the basics have to work first.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community